• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Bitter! A tale of venting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" | Intel Core Duo 2.66 GHz | 300 GB HD
So just barely over 30 days since purchasing my very first Mac, I find out today that Apple has upgraded the 17" MacBook Pro (which only started shipping less than 4 months ago!!!) to a standard 500 GB, 2.8 GHz model - which is $300 cheaper! I am pi$$ed!!!! I would have expected changes a few months down the road, but not now. Not when the model I purchased hasn't even been available for 6 months. Three hundred bucks is HUGE for me. I can't begin to describe how ripped off I feel. All the good feelings with finally becoming a Mac owner and making all the discoveries of a new machine have been cut down by this latest news. The only thing I paid more for in life was my education. Even my car didn't cost me as much as I paid for this computer and now, so soon after buying it, Apple has made a significant cut in the price and jacked up the HD to almost twice the space. The extra processing speed would have been nice, but I could have gotten past that if it was the only tweak Apple had made.

A phone call will happen. Trust me, no one (Apple included) wants to deal with a bitter ... . Especially this one. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
And would you like some cheese also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
Let us know how you get on.....

and can i please have some cheese? What type is on offer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
is that your own site?

looks like is was built in iWeb.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A lot of people seem to have some irrational hatred for Apple for doing what every company does all the time. It's called business. So, it's been barely 30 days? What if you had bought it 2 months ago? 4 months? 6 months? At what point does the feeling of being ripped off wear off?

My question for you then is this: is there something fundamentally wrong with the machine that you have now?

Reaction score
So if you bought urs within 30days do u get a tradeback or something??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A lot of people seem to have some irrational hatred for Apple for doing what every company does all the time. It's called business. So, it's been barely 30 days? What if you had bought it 2 months ago? 4 months? 6 months? At what point does the feeling of being ripped off wear off?

My question for you then is this: is there something fundamentally wrong with the machine that you have now?

The difference is that Apple announces updates to their product line, while Dell, HP and pretty much all the other mass producers of computers do not. The vast majority of them just do it quietly and you never know about it unless you keep a daily tab on their site to see if it's been upgraded or not.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The difference is that Apple announces updates to their product line, while Dell, HP and pretty much all the other mass producers of computers do not. The vast majority of them just do it quietly and you never know about it unless you keep a daily tab on their site to see if it's been upgraded or not.
Regardless of how the updates are or are not announced, updates are still released. Someone who bought an HP notebook 2 months ago could make the same argument that HP released updates to the same line recently.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So is there something to this 30day thing?
Perhaps you should wait more than 42min for an answer ;).

Here is the return policy for the Apple US store (it may be different from country to country).

Reaction score
Sorry Van I get impatient.
Sorry

What if you bought ur's from bestbuy like a ...? Cause I am said ...
Long story short, I bought an open box one on saturday (all they had even though they said they had some b 4 I traveled 100miles) but iam about to make a trip to exchange it for a brand new one of the same kind, because long story short missing some things.
and am about to leave in 20 min to go.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So just barely over 30 days since purchasing my very first Mac, I find out today that Apple has upgraded the 17" MacBook Pro (which only started shipping less than 4 months ago!!!) to a standard 500 GB, 2.8 GHz model - which is $300 cheaper! I am pi$$ed!!!! I would have expected changes a few months down the road, but not now. Not when the model I purchased hasn't even been available for 6 months. Three hundred bucks is HUGE for me. I can't begin to describe how ripped off I feel. All the good feelings with finally becoming a Mac owner and making all the discoveries of a new machine have been cut down by this latest news. The only thing I paid more for in life was my education. Even my car didn't cost me as much as I paid for this computer and now, so soon after buying it, Apple has made a significant cut in the price and jacked up the HD to almost twice the space. The extra processing speed would have been nice, but I could have gotten past that if it was the only tweak Apple had made.

A phone call will happen. Trust me, no one (Apple included) wants to deal with a bitter ... . Especially this one. :Angry:

If you bought a new car and the manufacturer came out with a new model with a few extra horsepower and a couple of styling tweaks just a few days later, would you feel slighted when the dealer refused to exchange your car?

Honestly, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. You buy the computer you need, when you need it and it will continue to fulfill those needs long after newer models are released.

Frankly, this is silly - you can be glad I'm not the person on the other end of that phone call.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I've been waiting for one of these posts!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you bought a new car and the manufacturer came out with a new model with a few extra horsepower and a couple of styling tweaks just a few days later, would you feel slighted when the dealer refused to exchange your car?

Honestly, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. You buy the computer you need, when you need it and it will continue to fulfill those needs long after newer models are released.

Frankly, this is silly - you can be glad I'm not the person on the other end of that phone call.
Well said. I'm figuratively clapping for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" unibody 2.8ghz, 4gb ram/PB G4 12" 1.5ghz/MB 13" 2ghz
macbook woes

yeah it sucks that it just got upgraded but its just like any other piece of electronics, things get upgraded. When I purchased my lcd tv after christmas i thought it was a great price and it was the best in that series. A week later the new model came out and it was $200 cheaper. It's always a gamble, just take comfort in the fact that you invested in a great computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
You'll always feel that way if you're forever chasing technology. There is no getting ahead. The hot second you buy it, it's outdated pretty much.

Reaction score
The only difference between the average purchase and this one is WWDC resulted in a wide-spread announcement of the upgrade. Apple has long been on a schedule to upgrade their products at least once a year, sometimes twice. Just go to their specs page and look at the model designations.

MacBook Pro (15" Glossy)
MacBook Pro (Late 2006)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2007...)
MacBook Pro (Late 2007...)
MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
MacBook Pro (Late 2008)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)

That's 6 upgrades since the original MacBook Pro, in slightly over 3 years. So historically they've been pumping out a new version every 6 months average. For those who wait 5 months from now to buy this newest version, they'll probably see another upgrade about a month later.

In short, nothing new going on here. Nobody is being "ripped off" buy buying shortly before the next upgrade is released.

Reaction score
You'll always feel that way if you're forever chasing technology. There is no getting ahead. The hot second you buy it, it's outdated pretty much.
These machines are outdated by the next thing on the drawing boards before they hit the shelves. By the time a model is debugged, put into production, and marketed the design boys have relegated it to "old and slow".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.