Interface Builder Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I feel like a total dummy. I'm very new to xcode/interface builder development. I've done a bunch of other development though so I'm not some total newb. However, Interface Builder is defeating me. All I want to know how to do is change the instance name of a Text Field I dragged onto a window. They all seem to be called NSTextField(0). However, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to change that. I'm in XCode 2.5 on OS X 10.4. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
As far as I know, you can't set a name for an IB screen object.

I think you mean the outlet name. That is done by dragging from the screen object to a controller object that appears in the nib window that holds those values. What you are doing is associating the screen object with a variable in the controlling object that will communicate with your screen object.

Perhaps there is a clue at cocoadevcentral.com. I think this 2nd of two tutorials is what you are interested in. The bonus is this tutorial looks to be from your version of the dev tools.

(If you mean you want the class to be some other non standard class, then you have to create a subclass in your project, read the class files in via the File menu on IB, and then change the class identity via the info panel for the textfield on the window. Well, that is in IB 3.1.2. I can't recall the details for your version.)

I recommend Cocoa(R) Programming for Mac(R) OS X, by Aaron Hillegass. You want the second edition, as the third edition released last year is for the newer version of the tools which look and act differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.