• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A Revolutionary Way to Play Video Games Introduced

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Microsoft introduced their revolutionary project called "Project Natal". The idea is gaming without the conventional controller nor wired devices used with a gaming console, you are the controller.

Xbox.com | Project Natal

Project Natal Announcement Trailer

Video - Real-life relationship with Xbox | BBC News

Do you think this will set the bar high for interactive gameplay? If this were out now, would any of you diehard Wii fans warm up to the idea of purchasing an Xbox 360 for this? Would you prefer this sort of interactive gameplay over a controller, or no? What do you guys think?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Humm this seems similar to the eyetoy.

I don't think I will jumping on the bandwagon anytime soon for the xBox.

At least not until they can directly wire my thoughts into movements, then we will talk. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
It looks like a more refined sophisticated eyetoy.
Although quite impressive, I'm not sure if this will be practical when it comes to actual gaming.
I don't know, but the demo that was shown was heavily scripted. Even if it were scripted, it is still quite impressive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
I've never heard of eyetoy, but I was impressed by what xbox did here. I'd be inclined to at least check it out. To be honest though, I don't think it will ever completely replace a controller. Lets face it, sometimes you play a video game because getting up and jumping around is too much work. All and all, it seems pretty cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
kinda cool but hope it doesn't fail like the eye toy did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
We all new the day would come where they were running out of console/TV-based gaming.

We all new this would be a first step to VR :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
This may sound silly, but hear me out:
I think that people don't actually want controllerless gaming... The wii controller basically acts as a toy-like proxy for your on-screen device, right?

Take an aeroplane game for example: would you rather bob and weave around with the wii controller, or with your hand? I think this will be a niche product to go up against a few specific wii titles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't think it'll replace the controller. The controller-less play requires some physical stamina, dexterity and general ability that a lot of people don't have.

Personally, I would love to see people step up and actually get more physical with games instead of sitting on their couch, but sadly, people just don't want to be like that.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This may sound silly, but hear me out:
I think that people don't actually want controllerless gaming... The wii controller basically acts as a toy-like proxy for your on-screen device, right?

Take an aeroplane game for example: would you rather bob and weave around with the wii controller, or with your hand? I think this will be a niche product to go up against a few specific wii titles.

I think it would kind of funny having to spread your arms out wide like a plane and run around the room. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Any one watch the Kotr trailer? Cause I think I may have found my next MMO, I loved the first two games hoping this one doesn't drop the ball.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't think it'll replace the controller. The controller-less play requires some physical stamina, dexterity and general ability that a lot of people don't have.

Personally, I would love to see people step up and actually get more physical with games instead of sitting on their couch, but sadly, people just don't want to be like that.

Agreed. Plus what about those of us who are disabled or just to tired after work to exercise in front of a controllerless game. Sure I think the controllerless game is a great idea. And people around say 10-20 or so would love it. But I've read many statics saying the gaming world is getting older. As in the average gamer is around 26-27 now. And for these people I don't think the want is there to have to run around the room to play a game.

Personally I think this will take off really well. But not in the home market. I think this could be a good step in the direction of a more realistic job training simulator. Like a flight simulator for pilots or a surgery simulator for doctors etc. It could be a really good tool the teachers use to help you learn or for the worker to keep his skills up to scratch over a long period of time.

And is this one of the steps towards VR? Very possible. But I do consider gaming and true VR very different things aimed at different target audiences. So all in all this new technology for me is really exciting, but more for it's real world applications than gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Too bad I got the RRoD. Twice.

That turned me off on Xbox and Microsoft completely. There goes a $200 plus $200 more in games out the window by 3 red lights.

--

I have to agree with fleurya. Said it all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
Well I watched E3 for the first two days on G4 and I seen project Natal and that wand thing that sony is making for the PS3's eyetoy. After seeing both of those to things I was thinking how the Nitendo wii is going to compete since all 3 consoles will now have activity based gaming but with the PS3 and Xbox360 having a large graphical edge.

Personally none of that interests me at all. Im the kind of person who would rather sit down and use a controller.

vxd

Reaction score
Agreed. Plus what about those of us who are disabled or just to tired after work to exercise in front of a controllerless game. Sure I think the controllerless game is a great idea. And people around say 10-20 or so would love it. But I've read many statics saying the gaming world is getting older. As in the average gamer is around 26-27 now. And for these people I don't think the want is there to have to run around the room to play a game.

Personally I think this will take off really well. But not in the home market. I think this could be a good step in the direction of a more realistic job training simulator. Like a flight simulator for pilots or a surgery simulator for doctors etc. It could be a really good tool the teachers use to help you learn or for the worker to keep his skills up to scratch over a long period of time.

And is this one of the steps towards VR? Very possible. But I do consider gaming and true VR very different things aimed at different target audiences. So all in all this new technology for me is really exciting, but more for it's real world applications than gaming.

You need to consider the Asian market and how much influence they have in the gaming industry. They love all their wacky toys. These consoles and games are directed to them first and then the rest of the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have to agree with the wacky toys the Asian market loves. Well below is a link to something the Koreans made for the Japanese. Lets just say after knowing that thing is in existence, then maybe, just maybe this new Gaming idea in the OP will take off in Asia.

Boong-Ga Boong-Ga

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

There are those of us that play games as relaxing entertainment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.