Seagate Freeagent Formatting Problems

Reaction score
I just received a new 1TB seagate free agent HD. The hard drive said it was only for windows but it was on sale and I figured I could reformat it when I got it.

I have been trying to reformat it as HFS+ but it will not work. It says that the formatter has failed. I can format it as FAT32 but I need to store files above 4GB.

I think seagate must have put something on the drive to block reformatting in HFS+ or anything similar. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to get around it?

Thanks

Reaction score
Dumbest Product Ever

Seagate is out to rip off Mac users - there's no other way around it. Charging a premium for the "mac version" - even though we don't need or want their silly backup software - is absurd.

They have purposefully made it difficult to reformat their "PC only" drives (?!?!) in order to protect the software on it, but shutting it off to Mac formatting was just a slap in the face.

You can reformat the PC version using a utility called Drive Genius, which is available from the Apple website.

If you don't want to buy more software, you can use the terminal command to reformat the drive:

diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ newdisk disk1

"newdisk" = the name you want to format it with
"disk1" = the mount point for the little Seagate B*tch (find this by control-clicking on the drive in "disk utility"

Just waiting to see what other charming easter eggs these swine have left on the drive. What a mistake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.