looking for a low cost photo editing app

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro
i collect rifles and i'm building a light box to take photos in. essentially what i'm looking for is a low budget/free photo editing software for the mac that will allow some color adjustment and will allow me to white out the entire background or cut the object out of the pic and place on a white background. forgive my ignorance as i'm pretty new to macs and playing with my DSLR (a whole 5 months).

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Take a look at Pixelmator. It's not Photoshop, but it's easy to use, feature rich and extremely fast.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not a huge picture editor myself but I quite like Acorn. Not super cheap ($50) but it might do the job for you.

If you want free, you could try The Gimp like CrimsonRequiem suggested. You can download it here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
^ Thats a bit too limited I guess.

GIMP will get work done pretty well. If you want to spend, go Pixelmator.

Reaction score
I would also go with Pixelmator to do what you want to do. I don't know of any free Apps that will let you cutout and object like you want. I think you get a lot of editor for $59 in Pixelmator and you may want to use some of it's other options as you learn to use it. It has a bit of learning curve but I think a lot Less than Photoshop or even the free Gimp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
^ Even though I use Pixelmator, GIMP is as easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" March 2009 Imac, 15" 700mhz G4, 2x Mac classics, and 3 ipods (nano shuffle and touch).
Gimp, free, fast and extremely well made. But eventually if you need a bit more an advanced program get photoshop (worth it). =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I use gimp. It meets all my demands, and is easy to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP | 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo | 4 GB Ram | 250 GB HDD
I just downloaded seashore it was free, and so far pretty good, but I don't know too much about photoshopping so it may be a bit limited compared to other options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Why not use Preview, it comes with Tiger and leopard - the latest has heaps of adjustments and even Tiger versions of Preview were under rated for handling pics

Reaction score
mmm, i couldn't think of a better software for you than Gimp. It's free and extremely well done for a free software. If you are not a profi and you learn how to use ti well, you will never need any other software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.