iTunes copying each song to...

Reaction score
Ok. So i unload my library of songs from my PC to my new mac through a CD. Everything finishes copying to the Music folder in the Finder sidebar. Then i open iTunes with an empty library. I go to the "add files to library", and select all my songs. They import, but now my music folder is twice it's size in Finder. It's because iTunes made it's own copy of each song. So now there are songs in the default Music folder in Finder, and all the same songs in the iTunes library folder in Finder.

How do i make it so iTunes doens't copy each song?
I don't recall this happening on my old PC...

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
did you try to import the file to iTunes from the CD? Itunes, as i have found out(just like iPhoto), make its own library.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Well, since you already have your mp3s on a CD, why not just erase every song in the library in the Finder and start over. Just reimport the mp3s into iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
In iTunes Preferences, under Advanced, try unchecking "Keep iTunes Music Folder Organised". I've not tried this, but my understanding is that iTunes then leaves your music where you left it, instead of duplicating it into its own file structure.

Please post if this works, as I'm interested to know if I'm right!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's not the "Keep ITunes Music Folder Organized" but the on the same Advanced tab, Uncheck "Copy Files to Itunes Music Folder When Adding to Library". Then it won't make dupes. The PC version has the exact same option.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Thanks guys.... i uncheck that box, and re copyed my library and it worked... i freed up 900 mb with this. thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.