• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Palm Pre

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
Hey guys just curious if any one is thinking about switching from the iphone to the palm Pre and why? I understand of course that the benefits of the palm Pre must be hypothetically considered as it has yet to launch. However, that assumption aside, what do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I think that Palm need to pull their finger out and release the thing, otherwise Apple will update the iPhone again and steal the march on Palm, thereby resigning them to certain doom.
It's not like Apple won't have taken note of what Palm are intending.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I think that Palm need to pull their finger out and release the thing, otherwise Apple will update the iPhone again and steal the march on Palm, thereby resigning them to certain doom.
It's not like Apple won't have taken note of what Palm are intending.

June 6th isn't that far away. :p

I personally don't plan on switching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
June 6th isn't that far away. :p

I personally don't plan on switching.

True, nor is WWDC though! I don't own an iPhone, so no changing here. I have a Blackberry Curve, but it's my employers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Some guy got a copy of the webOS emulator from Palm (after signing an NDA) and posted a ton of youtube videos of how everything works. Based on what I saw, I don't see anything that makes me even want to consider the Pre.

Funny thing about that guy in his videos is that he got the emulator from his friend, admits he (the one making the videos) signed an NDA with Palm, and says he "doesn't think" he's supposed to be releasing videos of the OS in action. What's even worse is that in another video he shows his email address he uses for Facebook, which can be used to find his real name on Facebook! That guy is toast!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some guy got a copy of the webOS emulator from Palm (after signing an NDA) and posted a ton of youtube videos of how everything works. Based on what I saw, I don't see anything that makes me even want to consider the Pre.

Funny thing about that guy in his videos is that he got the emulator from his friend, admits he (the one making the videos) signed an NDA with Palm, and says he "doesn't think" he's supposed to be releasing videos of the OS in action. What's even worse is that in another video he shows his email address he uses for Facebook, which can be used to find his real name on Facebook! That guy is toast!!

Ahh the dangers of technology vs stupidity!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The Palm Pre certainly looks interesting. I'd welcome a real keyboard on a smart phone with a decent OS that approximates the usefulness of iPhone OS. With that said, I don't believe Palm will be around long enough to see the Pre grow into a platform as large as the iPhone is, particularly with Sprint as their sole carrier.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
With that said, I don't believe Palm will be around long enough to see the Pre grow into a platform as large as the iPhone is, particularly with Sprint as their sole carrier.
I do agree that limiting to one carrier, particularly one that is much smaller than other potential carriers, is a bad decision. They have the largest carrier here carrying it although they may not have had much choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't think the issue is them just having it on a sole carrier, I think it's just the fact that it's Sprint. Heck, I'd switch to T-Mobile before I'd switch to Sprint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Palm Pre certainly looks interesting. I'd welcome a real keyboard on a smart phone with a decent OS that approximates the usefulness of iPhone OS. With that said, I don't believe Palm will be around long enough to see the Pre grow into a platform as large as the iPhone is, particularly with Sprint as their sole carrier.

That doesn't seem to have hurt Apple over here, where the iPhone is tied to 02, but I don't know of Sprint, so maybe they aren't as reliable a provider.

Reaction score
I had been planning on switching to the iPhone when my contract expires with Spring on June 1st but after seeing the Pre I changed my mind. It is the Pre for me. As for Sprint - I have had no problems with them at all. Good reception, good, dependable service. Reason for going Pre? It does more then the iPhone and I like the Palm OS.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It does more then the iPhone and I like the Palm OS.

Oh man, Papa - them's fightin' werds :)

I thought the Pre was running a completely new OS altogether. Is it really running on top of Palm OS?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
From what I have read, webOS is brand new and built atop a Linux kernel. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I enjoyed Palm OS from the Tungsten T ~ T3 versions. The only reason I switched to iPhone was to have less junk in my pockets. IMHO the Palm devices have much better PIM applications and a dearth of free aftermarket software which are both pluses. I've always disliked Apple's lack of attention to the PIM aspects of the iPhone (Why can't I have an alarm go off more than once for an event? Why can't I edit iPhone's dictionary so words I use often like XJ-linux, etc are not auto-corrected? No editing of Word, Excel, etc... No iPhone integrated desktop application) I would switch in an instant if I though Palm was going to be around more than a year. I love my iPhone, but it really sux as a PDA, and has only rudimentary calling features. That said, it's still the best thing out right now for what I need due to the touch input method and web browser. No, I won't switch. At least, not until I see how well the 3.0 firmware delivers on the basics that iPhone has been lacking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The Pre isn't going to be Sprint only for long, there's an AT&T version in the works.

While I don't think the Pre is great enough to upend the iPhone, it at least provides a viable alternative to the iPhone, something no other phone has yet to successfully do despite claiming to be "iPhone killers." From what I've seen, it seems to be a very promising platform and I look forward to checking it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I enjoyed Palm OS from the Tungsten T ~ T3 versions. The only reason I switched to iPhone was to have less junk in my pockets. IMHO the Palm devices have much better PIM applications and a dearth of free aftermarket software which are both pluses. I've always disliked Apple's lack of attention to the PIM aspects of the iPhone (Why can't I have an alarm go off more than once for an event? Why can't I edit iPhone's dictionary so words I use often like XJ-linux, etc are not auto-corrected? No editing of Word, Excel, etc... No iPhone integrated desktop application) I would switch in an instant if I though Palm was going to be around more than a year. I love my iPhone, but it really sux as a PDA, and has only rudimentary calling features. That said, it's still the best thing out right now for what I need due to the touch input method and web browser. No, I won't switch. At least, not until I see how well the 3.0 firmware delivers on the basics that iPhone has been lacking.
I agree 100%. I switched us from Sprint to ATT for the iPhone since our contract was up. I wish I would have waited a little longer, as I didn't know the iPhone lacked some of the basic featuers 98% of the phones on the market do, like MMS, cut/copy/paste, my wife wanted the Pre when it comes out, but I convinced her, well not really, I bought the iPhone without her knowing.. hehe.

Like stated above, I'll stick around to see what the 3.0 software is like, and from what I have been reading, it's going to add all the stuff my wife complains about the most! If your married you know the old saying "Happy Wife means Happy Life"

Reaction score
Oh man, Papa - them's fightin' werds :)

I thought the Pre was running a completely new OS altogether. Is it really running on top of Palm OS?

It is, but there is already a way for "classic" Palm apps to run on the new OS. I have the directions downloaded and waiting. Believe me, this took a lot of thinking. I love Apple but the iPhone doesn't do (or run) programs that I need (PDA type).

OP
tdll1313
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
Pre

Honestly the virtual keyboard on the Iphone is amazing as far as virtual keyboards go however I switched from my iphone 3g to a blackberry 8900 and I for sure like the real thing so much more. I highly doubt apple will ever put a physical keyboard on their iphones "at least not anytime soon" because of the technology behind their keyboard. I loved the iphone 3G and have been planning on getting the next generation however as lame as this sounds the keyboard on the Pre guarantees that I will pick up the Pre and give it a go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I never used a real keyboard on a phone before, and since learning on the iPhone, I can't really imagine having to do it any other way.

I think the Pre is quickly becoming more of a iPhone rival. This week it came out that the Pre will work with iTunes and will become available to more carriers as early as 2010.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.