Old iMac OS Upgrade Question

Reaction score
I acquired an old Blueberry (All-In-One) iMac for the purpose of running Excel 5 in an OS8 environment. It is currently running OS 8.5.1. The floppy drive I acquired in order to load Excel 5 from floppies requires that I be running at least OS 8.6. "No problem" I thought. I have OS 8.6 System, System Resources and Finder and I thought I remembered that all I had to do to upgrade (after copying the old System Folder for safety) was to copy over these files and reboot. No such luck. The iMac loads the System then hangs, refusing to load the extensions, etc.

I can get back to the desktop with an OS 9.1 CD to rearrange things. Unfortunately, while the iMac boots from the CD, I can't install OS9 (which would be fine with me) because the CD says my firmware is out of date and won't let me run the Firmware Update... telling me I need to have a G3 (which I do). Hmmmmmmmmmm......

I just need to get to 8.6. Any ideas out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
But can you not upgrade 8.5.1 by inserting 8.6 disc then running install app to upgrade to 8.6. then do Firmware update then upgrade to 9.1 or 9.2. Surely you can reformat HD and put 8.6 on it?

OP
B
Reaction score
But can you not upgrade 8.5.1 by inserting 8.6 disc then running install app to upgrade to 8.6. then do Firmware update then upgrade to 9.1 or 9.2. Surely you can reformat HD and put 8.6 on it?

Sorry, but I no longer have the OS 8.6 install disk. That would solve everything. In that case I wouldn't even have to reformat the drive (Macs don't require that).

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks louishen. Actually, someone in another forum located a .smi archive of the OS 8.6 update. I copied it onto a CD and it ran like a champ. Nonetheless, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Reaction score
It might be a good idea to find a copy of Nortons Systemworks v6. to repair the system every so often as your missing the original system cds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.