• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Quick question for anyone who snorkels/ SCUBA dives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Hi everyone! Summer is coming around, and, that means I need a new snorkel set again. In the past, I got a new one each summer because I outgrew the previous one. I usually got a cheap Body Glove brand set for around $40 at my local Sports Authority. This summer I am going to save for a very good snorkel set, because I would like to go snorkeling in different conditions. I have been snorkeling every summer for almost 4 years so I have some experience. So my question is, can someone recommend a good brand/ model snorkel and mask? My budget is about $150-200. Thanks!

James (BlueMac)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My boss has been Scuba diving for many many years and still goes scuba diving 3-4 times a year. Just got back from a trip to Mexico a couple of weeks ago. She's recommending Scuba Pro or Dacor.

Says most expensive and heaviest are not necessarily the best. She's been using the same snorkel for over 20 years and doesn't like the new ones with all the fancy gadgets. Says those are for people that don't know how to snorkel.

The mask will need to be replaced probably at least every 5 years no matter how much you pay for them. The rubber just wears out and/or doesn't fit right any more due to being stored and the associated expansion and contraction over time due to varying temps and humidity. (And she stores hers inside).

Says some people thnk the heavier they are the better. They'll also feel like you have a piece of equipment on while you're using them and some men like that.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Thanks Bob! Your help is always appreciated. Rep added.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I haven't snorkeled since I as a kid, but my dad was HUGE into diving. He always lead me in the direction or US Divers or something similar.

I remember my mask and snorkel was about $50 for both. Just make sure the lense is tempered glass and not polycarbonate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.