Finding exchange server settings in outlook 2000 for entourage?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is kind of a PC question but I use Outlook 2000 at work and I'm trying to set up the server in Entourage. When I click tools and exchange server in outlook it brings up a dialog that shows my server as TOREX005. The only thing is I have no idea where to look for my domain. At work all logins are a01ab\username so I thought a01ab was my domain. When I type that into entourage and click next it tries to connect to the domain to do something but it fails. If I try to set it up manually and use that domain and TOREX005 server it says its synching but doesn't do anything either. Does anyone know where in XP or Outlook 2000 I go to find all of the details on what my server would be? Is this even possible? Thanks,

moz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 ibook 1.33, 512 ram, 80gig hd, bluetooth and airport
leemoreau said:
Hey everyone,

This is kind of a PC question but I use Outlook 2000 at work and I'm trying to set up the server in Entourage. When I click tools and exchange server in outlook it brings up a dialog that shows my server as TOREX005. The only thing is I have no idea where to look for my domain. At work all logins are a01ab\username so I thought a01ab was my domain. When I type that into entourage and click next it tries to connect to the domain to do something but it fails. If I try to set it up manually and use that domain and TOREX005 server it says its synching but doesn't do anything either. Does anyone know where in XP or Outlook 2000 I go to find all of the details on what my server would be? Is this even possible? Thanks,

Hi

there are many possibilities with your question.....
I think you will need to contact your internal IT dept for the details.
You may need to set up some sort of VPN (virtual private network) which will allow you to get through the company firewall and allow you to connect to your works server!
next to that you may need to create your works account using smtp and pop3 settings instead of the exchange server.

OP
E
Reaction score
They gave me the information I need but it doesn't work. When making a new account I type in the domain name then entourage says something about contacting the domain controller to get account settings but then says it can't connect. I don't think I need to tunnel through because I'm actually using the computer at work on the network. I can access outlook exchange web access, and any other intranet addresses in safari. Even when I configure manually it says it will synch in the background but then shows my account and just says not connected and nothing happens. I don't know why it's so complicated!

G

gdestiny

let me know if you figured it out. i've been trying to get entourage 2004 working w/ our exchange 5.5 server for about a month now w/o any luck.

the only error message i get is, not connected. not too helpful when you're trying to troubleshoot. i have tried various settings in entourage w/o any success.

i know the network connection is fine because i'm typing this post on my mac mini @ work; and everything network-wise works (web, ftp, etc).

OP
E
Reaction score
That's exactly the message I get, doesn't say or do anything just not connected. There's not even an option to press connect. For exchange I think entourage is a POS lol. I wonder if theres any better email programs that support exchange, I'm going to go check. I can access outlook through web access but it's a pain because I can't do it offline :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Is your network using ISA server? If so make sure that you set your Mac to bypass proxy settings for the exchange server.

System Preferences>Network>Built-in Ethernet>Configure>Proxies>Bypass proxy setting for these Hosts & Domains, add the NetBIOS name and the FQDN of the exchange server (separate entries). Apply.

OP
E
Reaction score
Okay I'll try that. How do I find the NetBIOS name and FQDN? The exchange server is TOREX005 and domain is a01ab that's all the help desk would tell me they said that's all I need to set up exchange in outlook :S Do I enter one of those in there? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
leemoreau said:
Okay I'll try that. How do I find the NetBIOS name and FQDN? The exchange server is TOREX005 and domain is a01ab that's all the help desk would tell me they said that's all I need to set up exchange in outlook :S Do I enter one of those in there? Thanks.

Well, I'm no Entourage expert (barely used it truthfully) but with the wizard that's all your should need to set it up. NetBIOS name should be the name of the server-- in you case it looks like it's TOREX005 the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) should be something like servername.domainname.local (maybe TOREX005.a01ab.local on your local network).

Also, you might want to check this out:

http://pentechcom.com/sbsdocblog/SBS_Mac_Beta.doc

it's for getting up and going with Small Business Server 2003 and a Mac, but everything should apply, SBS 2003 is basically Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 with some restrictions on server use and number if users, everything else is the same. Step 4 has a fairly detailed account of how to set up Entourage with exchange, and it looks like the rest of the document has some nice detail about using a mac in a windows server environment.

moz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a good document that ..... nice find :eek:)

OP
E
Reaction score
It worked! Thank you SO much. I don't remember which settings I used because it's not here, but I'll get them after. I think the problem might even have been that for username I was entering Cha9830 instead of a01ab\Cha9830. I changed it to that and did some other things and it worked. I'm pretty sure exchange server I used the https://webmail.corp.etc address for my outlook web access and then domain I just used a01ab. I forget what I used for the other setting but I'll check after and let you know.

moz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:mac: dont you just love the fuzzy warm feeling you get when you fix something !!!! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Nice. Good to see you got it working. How about you gdestiny? Any luck?

G

gdestiny

been busy w/ work and other stuff, so i put it on the back burner. i am downloading that doc file now and i'll give it another go on monday when i'm back in the office. i'll keep everyone posted on this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.