PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive Problem

Sk4mikaze
05-10-2009, 07:28 PM
I own a 1tb Western Digital external drive, I partitioned it first thing and i use my mac side of it for time machine. Here's the problem, I can't seem to access it from my windows side. It has it in the device manager and says its working fine but i cant access anything on it. This may just be something really simple that I missed but I'm really missing those 500 gigs.

chscag
05-11-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm assuming the Mac side of the drive is formatted to HFS+ since you're using it for Time Machine. How about the other 500 GB partition, what format is it? Remember, Windows can not read nor write to a drive formatted to HFS+ unless a third party driver is used from the Windows side.

Third party driver = Paragon NTFS 7.0 for Mac. Allows you to go both ways. You can read write NTFS from the Mac side and you can read write HFS from the Windows side. $39.95 Link (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/)

Disk Manager has the ability to "see" and detect a drive regardless of its format, however, reading and writing is another matter.

Regards.

mknabster
05-11-2009, 09:23 PM
+1 on Paragon NTFS. I would also look into MacDrive, it allows Windows to see a Mac formatted drive. I have both and am pleased with them.