Wireless Connections After installing Windows w/ Boot Camp

Reaction score
I need help setting up a wireless connection on windows. I installed boot camp drivers and everything is fine, but I can't establish a connection. I tried Connections > Add Cnnections but no wireless options exists, and I'm pretty sure the wireless connection setup wizard doesn't work either with a network with a password. Any help? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Setting up a wireless connection in Windows is straight forward. Need some more info though....

Are you using a router? If so, is security enabled? And, I'm assuming your wireless connection is working OK when you're in OS X?

Post back.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
I am using a wireless router yes. Security is enabled, I know the password. And yes, it works in OSX.

Reaction score
Ok, try disabling the security protocols on your router, reboot into Windows and see if it will pick up the wireless. If so, then re-enable security from within Windows and it should work. There have been issues reported with security settings under BC and in virtual machines. Otherwise I haven't got much else for you to try. Good luck.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try this....

Attach an ethernet cable from the router to your Mac. Look in your router user manual. Find the reset button (usually on the back, a pinhole). Reset the router to factory default. Log on to your router and access the setup menu. Do not enable security, but go ahead and enter a channel, DHCP, network name, DNS settings, turn on wireless transmission of course.

From the OS X side, make sure you can connect to the net with the ethernet cable attached. If OK, reboot the router and remove the ethernet cable. Reboot your Mac. You should be able to connect wireless from OS X.

Now boot to Windows and use the new connection wizard. You should be able to "see" the wireless signal from the Windows side (network name, not secure). If you can get on the net from Windows boot back to OS X. Attach the ethernet cable again. Go back into the router and enable security. Do not use WEP. Use WPA or greater. Make sure you write down the pass phrase. Reboot the router, remove the ethernet cable again, go back in settings in OS X and put in your pass phrase. Make sure you can get on the net from OS X.

Boot to Windows and do the same thing. Enter your password and verify you can get on the net.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
How can I access my router? Not resetting it but you know reactivating security and this won't interrupt any connections with my ps3 and vista laptop that runs fine right? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How can I access my router? Not resetting it but you know reactivating security and this won't interrupt any connections with my ps3 and vista laptop that runs fine right? Thanks.

Do you have a manual for your router? In the manual it will give an IP address that you can use from your browser to access the router setup menu.
That's why you need an ethernet cable attached. Follow directions. If you don't use an ethernet cable and turn off security or make changes, you will lose the connection with your Mac side.

And yes, anytime you make changes to the router - even resetting it - there is a possibility that you will drop the connection with your Vista laptop and PS3.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.