Mac The Ripper Upgrades?

S

Smlltmr

When will someone come up with software similiar to what can be found on PC that lets you backup your purchased dvds without having to burn them on to the hard drive and then using several different methods of compressing/ buurning them? Why is Pc so more advanced in this realm than mac? I have used every different kind, including fastdvdcopy 3.5, of method to rip my own dvds and it still takes forever. Why? I realize that Macs do not decrypt as fast as other brand name computers but cm'on, I find it ridiculous that it takes almost (2) hours to decrypt, compress, and burn. I am using an iMac G5 1.8ghz with a Pioneer DVR-108, not a cheap set-up. Does anyone have an answer, or does the PC when this battle?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
it takes about an hour and a half to rip, compress, and burnn for me. have you tried popcorn, it does direct copies, dvd to dvd.

OP
S

Smlltmr

Yes I have used Popcorn, I find that Toast 6 Titanium is a better program with less error (when not compressing) What do you think though will mac come out with a program that boosts the speed of not only decryption but also compression? On my friends Dell he can do the same process as I do in a fraction of the time(30 min).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not sure, but there are other apps, for example dvd backup, the equivilent of dragging and dropping a dvds contents onto your hd, depending on youur computers speed and your ram, its juist like copying files. then youd still need to compress, another compression app is cinematize.

OP
S

Smlltmr

Thanks for you input... Man I have tried it all. It is just frustrating that Mac makes this great computer (iMac 1.8ghz) and its dvd encryption/ compression rates are already outdated. I would think that Mac would be on the cutting edge for this type of software...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Using MacThe Ripper it really takes me 13-15 minutes to Rip it to the HDD. Only thing though unless you have a Dual Layer DVD-R you still have to run another app to shrink it like DVDShrink on Windows does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a dual layer burner, but I still compress it, either using dvd2onex usually, or popcorn.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes so do I. The main reason I don't go the Dual Layer route right now is the Cost of the blanks! They are around $10 each still and that is a lot. Which do you prefer? DVD2Onex or Popcorn? Is one better or faster than the other? Do you still need say Toast to burn the DVD after they are done or does one of them do it all?

Does DVD2Onex do it all? Rip, Take out country code and Shrink? It's not that clear on their homepage.

OP
S

Smlltmr

cmon man how does it take you 13-15min to rip? What are you doing that I am not?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remember, it's just ripping, not compressing. The last two movies I did took around 15 minutes. I still had to run another utility to compress them to fit on a single layer DVD. That is the one thing on the Mac I miss, DVDShrink that does it all in one step. I just did a backup of a DVD on my PC using Shrink and it was 29 minutes till it was ready to burn to a 4.7GB Blank. Last time I did both on the Mac it was around 40 minutes which still is not that bad considering the Mac is a 1.25Ghz Mini and my PC is a 2.53Ghz with the fastest Hard Drives you can buy and a very fast DVD drive.

I will take the DVD I just ripped on my PC and try it on the Mac with MactheRipper and see how long it takes. I wish they would make MacTheRipped do it all in one step, Rip and Compress.

We need a DVDShrink for the OSX!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
popcorn both compresses and burns a dvd, but dvd2onex has faster compression.

OP
S

Smlltmr

dtravis7,
that still amazes me, it takes me 45 min just to rip using my iMac 1.8ghz with Mac the Ripper. I could not agree with you more about PCs being faster, as i said it doesnt make sense that macs are so far behind in burning/compressing dvds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it takes me a half hour tops to rip, Im on a g4 cube @ 450 mhz.

OP
S

Smlltmr

What are your settings on Mac the ripper? why do you think that it is taking me so long? Basically what are you doing that I am not?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will get back with you. Doing a new Movie I just bought tonight. It's a long one and looks like it will take longer than the last two I did as it has a lot of extras and other footage in it besides the main movie. Will get back to you wih the exact time of this one as well as any settings. What suprised me about the 15-20 at most I got with the last few I did was the fact that the Mini has an 8x DVD drive in it. That is a lot slower than my other Mac and my P4 has. That should slow it down a bit too.

Ok Done. It took 25 Minutes. That was one of the longer movies I have done. That is on a Mac Mini with 8X DVD Rom and 512 Megs RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dunno, I usually get all the menus, extras, and anything else. how much ram do you have, and when was the last time you optimized your hd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Smlltmr said:
Thanks for you input... Man I have tried it all. It is just frustrating that Mac makes this great computer (iMac 1.8ghz) and its dvd encryption/ compression rates are already outdated. I would think that Mac would be on the cutting edge for this type of software...
Why would mac's be on the cutting edge for this type of software?

Although macs are used by lots of creative people, most people rip DVD's to make pirated copies of them, so the people who create thee software to do this are usually not large software companies but small groups of hackers/crackers/semi-legal software makers.

And most of these people don't use macs, they use windows. So to me it seems logical that the windows world will have the faster encoders/rippers first.

Btw. I'm not trying to insult any legitimate users of dvd backup software, I'm just pointing out that the large majority of people using these tools are not using them to make legal backups...

OP
S

Shai-Nadir

The only reason why I haven't switched completely to macs is that it takes forever to make a quality copy of my dvds. On my P4 3.2 ghz desktop, it takes approximately 25 minutes to rip, compress, and burn using DVDXCopy. If a mac could do this, I would never visit windows again.

OP
K

Kokopelli

How often do you have to back-up your DVDs? Once you have copies of them all, unless you are buying 4 ot 5 a week I don't see the big deal. 25 min versus 2 hours is a big difference but not catastrophic.

Keeping a PC for gaming or work I could understand but specifically for DVD copying? Let the copy run in the background or overnight.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But it does not take 2 hours. Even on my MINI I would say 45 min Max to the finished product using a Plextor 16X Firewire DVD Burner. That is ripping, Shrinking and burning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.