Aperture

Reaction score
Ok Folks.

At the moment I have all my images manage by aperture and all the images are in the Aperture Library.

I am now wanting to have my Images downloaded from my camera to subfolders on my external HD and just have the aperture to use it as reference is that what it called IE leaving the images where they are. But when I do make changes to the image within aperture does it save it back to the folder where all the images are or is the adjusted image stored in aperture if so how can i get it to save it adjustment and have the image to be saved in the image folder.

Lastly what the best way to get all my images out of the aperture library and putting them in subfolders on my HD?

Cheers
Andrew

Reaction score
Hi Andrew
Being new to this forum, I saw your question and I believe to have an answer. However, I am using the German version of Aperture, so I am using free translation of menu entries.

If you want to move your current pictures (originals) from the library to an external HD, you need to select these pictures (projects, albums, whatever your structure in Aperture is) and go to file ... there you'll find an entry like "new place for originals" - choose your HD and folder and then proceed. All originals will be moved to this folder and linked with the aperture library. An small icon at the lower right corner of the thumbnails and pics will indicate the link. You can adjust pictures and the adjustment will be applied on the working copy in aperture.

To load new pictures, you need to watch out for an entry in the import pop-up window. This may say "Import into Aperture library", klick there to "choose" the place you want to have your originals stored. There should be three options,
1) aperture library
2) current filing place
3) choose filing place
Take the last one and choose your ext HD and folder and the pictures will be placed there and automatically linked to your library.

Have fun

Diethard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.