imac protools and running other s/w OK?

Reaction score
Hi Great forum- Just found and registered.
I work from home and use quite abit ofs/w for the usual data letters internet work etc. I have a intelcore 2 2.13ghz 2gb ram PC - Noisy but does the job ( most of the time)
Now i have an le pro tools set up 003 that i need to get set up on my imac .Its the 24 inch intel core 2 2.4ghz with 3 gb ram.
My question is i basically can't stand the pc now -noise windows errors etc .. Would i be able to succesfully run the imac both as a pro tools recording set up ( this will include a midi connection to my Yamaha keboard) and aslo use it running my other s/w? I know some s/w will be no good on a mac but i do have some alternatives and frankly i am desperate to bin the pc
Any advice would be welcome. I do have 2 firewire drives that could be used with the imac as well. Thanks Paul

PS I have used bootcamp in the past and aslo have some emulation s/w as well but it always well stil gets me back to windows with windows problems.Iderally i would want to work on the music and then do other stuff form the same workstation without having to reboot etc.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Should work just fine for everything you want to do. I am running a 20" G5 (Power Pc) iMac and do both my MIDI music and everything else on it without skipping a beat. The newer Intel Macs would be even better. You have plenty of RAM also. I would say go for it.

I have a Modded Intel Mac Mini with the C2d CPU from a 24" iMac like yours and it flies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
Yes. That will be fine. I use a basic macbook for recording/mixing sessions in Logic using up to 48 tracks. I'm also looking at moving pro tools and a 003. You will be more than happy with using the iMac as a DAW and standard home computer. I have open office, firefox, the usual stuff running on my macbook and its all fine. You may find it nice to have 2 seperate user accounts, 1 for music, 1 for 'normal' use, but I suspect you won't need to bother.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the good news you bring...It will be so goooooood to leave behind the pc.
The using 2 user accounts sounds a neat idea. One thing is when you install Protools they suggest a few changes to the standard mac set up. Turn off software update/energy saver/spotlight indexing. If i had 2 user accounts would these changes apply to both accounts or to the one account i was in when i disabled these? I guess indexing could be useful for my work but at the end of the day getting organized is a tidier way of finding stuff! But just a thought,,
Also I do have a g4 silver? mac that is doing nothing.If i could make that Kids friendly ( ie useable s/w maybe open office etc) i would give the children that one rather than this pc.Ok the spec i guess is far better but mac is of a different calabre and is i think a more peaceful epxerience!.
Thanks again for your help
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2.5Ghz 15"
Mac is the bomb for ProTools I got a Macbook Pro with ProTools M-Powered 8.0 and a dual screen set up, works like a clock I have a bunch of other stuff open too and it doesn't trip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.