• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple possibly updating Macbooks, Macbook Pros and Pro Apps at WWDC

Reaction score
Apple may be updating Macbooks and Macbook Pros at or slightly before WWDC. Some think it'll be 3G, battery updates and/or just slight speed bumps. It'd be great if they made the batteries higher capacity because right now the unibody ones are smaller than the previous batteries. Personally, this means that I'll be buying the MB when SL is just released it instead of waiting for Rev. 2 sometime in November. All I really want right now is something slightly faster with a better battery and SL on it. That should put me sometime in September, meaning an even shorter wait.

Here's the article:

MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and Pro Apps to See Updates at WWDC? - Mac Rumors

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
OLED monitors and higher resolutions would be nice too. >_>"

Reaction score
OLED is still primitive, Sony's 11 inch model costs 3 grand.

I think 3G would be a great addition, Wi-Fi has never really cut it for me, unless I'm in Starbucks I can't find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
3G huh, that's actually the one feature I never thought about putting in a computer :D but I guess it makes sense

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Mac pros and Mac notebooks. Gee it seems everytime you turn around they are getting upgrades. At this rate the notebooks will make better desktops than imacs will. I have seriously considered a MBP as a Desktop replacement.

Personally I like the 3G and longer battery life ideas. I know 3G works on phones ok, but is it enough for high speed internet when wireless on a computer? Because it can suck the bandwith much more than a phone can.

OP
L
Reaction score
Although OLED would be nice the technology is still young and expensive. Some complain about the quality of the Macbook LED but I think it's better than the old Macbooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's the Worldwide DEVELOPERS Conference. While it is certainly plausible for Apple to release updates for its Pro apps and a possible release of Snow Leopard, I seriously doubt there will be any hardware updates.

Yes, Apple has Spring refreshes, however WWDC is not the venue for them. There will most likely be a special event some time in May or June for hardware updates, much like there have been in the past. Then there will be a special event for iPhone 3.0 and a possible hardware revision for the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Mac pros and Mac notebooks. Gee it seems everytime you turn around they are getting upgrades. At this rate the notebooks will make better desktops than imacs will. I have seriously considered a MBP as a Desktop replacement.

Personally I like the 3G and longer battery life ideas. I know 3G works on phones ok, but is it enough for high speed internet when wireless on a computer? Because it can suck the bandwith much more than a phone can.

I think desktops will disappear in the home market in the near future and if
sales are any indication sooner than later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It's the Worldwide DEVELOPERS Conference. While it is certainly plausible for Apple to release updates for its Pro apps and a possible release of Snow Leopard, I seriously doubt there will be any hardware updates.

I agree with you. But with Apple pulling out of the Macworld confrences (I think that's what they're called) totally, it means something could be said at WWDC. Actually I would not be surprised if a Developers beta of Snow Leopard and the Snow Leopard SDK was released then. As well as a new SDK for the new iphone.

Well they could release Snow Leopard proper also as WWDC. And say in the keynote about the new API's and new core technologies (like Quicktime X etc) and how they'll help the average user as well as the Developer. Because I think Snow Leopard is much more developer than public oriented. All plus to performance and not so much in fancy bling.

And mind you they have to remember that many business people (such as scientists, company CEO's doctors etc) as well as developers go to WWDC. And Apple needs to cater to them as well. There's lots of $$ in it for Apple.

So my predictions:

WWDC - 10.6 (Developers beta, SDK, and maybe a public release) and iphone SDK
A later inhouse event with a few special members of the public - Macbook upgrade, Mac Pro upgrade, the status of desktop computers as a whole and maybe new iphone. Not all of these at the one event I'm assuming.
Silent upgrade - If any of the hardware id not a true upgrade, just a speed bump then they'll be upgrade one day without warning or an event.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The last MacBook upgrade was silent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The last MacBook upgrade was silent.

Are you referring to the switch to nVidia graphics on the low end white Macbook?

The last update to the Macbooks was on October 14 and it was sort of a big deal, what with a special event and all that coverage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Personally I am looking forward seeing similar tech spec as what is inside of this inside of a mac display, even if it only hits the high end monitors any person in the Art field would love 3 million to 1 contrast ratio. Honestly I'm thinking about taking a little driver down to a store that has one so I take a glace at 'em.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you referring to the switch to nVidia graphics on the low end white Macbook?

The last update to the Macbooks was on October 14 and it was sort of a big deal, what with a special event and all that coverage.

When they gave it a speed bump with the 1066MHz front side bus .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 MDD 2003, 2gb ram, 20" Cinema Display
From what I've seen from apps such as Final Cut Pro (haven't seen much), it looks like they've needed a UI refresh since OS9.

Isn't it a bit early to be updating the MacBooks?

Reaction score
livinitup1 Pretty much what I added.

scathe The only reason you don't think that is because Apple has ignored this staple feature for so long. Other Windoh's machines have had 3G data card and sim slots for a few years now, but still Apple continues to leave this feature out.

I really can't see updated machines though, I think the new iPhone will be the big product launch, and then a whole bunch on Snow Leopard and iPhone 3.0 again. After all, they need to try and stick to the fact it's a software development event.

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but do any of you guys know the exact date of the WWDC (i.e. when these updates would hit the shelves so to speak)?

Reaction score
June 8th-12th.

That doesn't mean that is when the new stuff is out however, it's just when whatever we are getting gets shown off.

The products might be shipping right after the conference, it could be months later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.