PDA

View Full Version : "Disk Error" when trying to install Windows via Boot Camp

babyduckfan
04-22-2009, 10:42 PM
My friend has a Macbook as I do, and she tried to install Windows XP using Boot Camp Assistant. I am not sure exactly what she did, but now she cannot get past a black screen that says "Disk Error" Press any key to continue. Only no key will work. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks

chscag
04-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Without knowing exactly what she did, I can't provide a definitive answer. It's possible she may have accidently formatted the wrong drive or an error occurred during the install of XP.

Can she get back to OS X by booting the machine while holding down the Option key and selecting the Macintosh HD?

Regards.

iggibar
04-23-2009, 05:28 PM
I am having the same problem:-( The only way to get out of it is to turn off the computer and turn it on while holding down the option key. Then you select the the mac drive. I don't know what the problem is either but would love to know!

brendonrush
04-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I had this problem, as my macbook restarted during the XP setup, if the setup disk is still in the drive, boot up and hold the option key and go into OS X and eject the disk, then reboot, hold option, choose windows and, for me, it carried on with the install process and asked me to put the disk back in the drive.

If your disk isnt in the drive, I recommend booting into OS X, reformatting the C Drive and start over

iggibar
04-25-2009, 07:37 PM
brendon,
I will give that a try. I'm still having the same problem and I hope it is that easy.

harryb2448
04-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Make sure the Windows install disk is the retail version and not an OEM such as supplied with a Windows machine.