newbie Xcode question

Reaction score
I'm just learing to program this year, starting with python and C. So far I've been using Idle for python, and 'lcc' on the Uni computers for C.

But now I want to do C on my mac, and Xcode seems a bit overkill for my purposes. I can't get my head around the whole 'project' business. At this stage, all i want to do is run small, simple, single file programs e.g a word counter or an average calculator....

...Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

EDIT: just read the 'courtesy guidlines' and realized my thread title violated two of the three guidlines. sorry...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz C2D, 2GB RAM
It sounds like you've already installed Xcode. If so, you've already got the gcc compiler that can be run from the command line in Terminal. However, Xcode can be used quite simply for this type of stuff, too. For the sort of programs you want to build, if you just create a new project by selecting "Standard Tool" from the "Command Line Utility" category, you'll end up with a plain ole' C source file to edit.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank, i got it. I've heard i could use terminal before too, but I don't know how to use that. I guess I should learn that too...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.