• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ammo Crisis!!! Anyone Else Stockpiling?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Well after getting fed up hitting 3 stores with no results, I knew it was time. I called a manufacturer and ended up ordering:

1500rds .45ACP 230gr FMJ $520
500rds 10mm 180gr FMJ $200
500rds 9mm 115gr FMJ $120
1000rds .22LR HP $70

They weren't even taking orders on .223 Remington!!! I've never been one to stockpile ammo, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm guessing with Barry Hussein's trip to Mexico and other fun, it's only getting to be worse before it gets better. The one place that had 9mm was asking $25.95 for 50rds FMJ, limit 2 boxes. Is anyone else feeling the pinch?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, but I can sure see I should have bought a weapon a couple of years ago when I first considered it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3" 2.4 Ghz Stock
Hmmm I love republican themed conspiracy theories and I am even registered a republican.....and the last time I checked our presidents name isn't Barry it is Barack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Hmmm I love republican themed conspiracy theories and I am even registered a republican.....and the last time I checked our presidents name isn't Barry it is Barack

Yes yes. I laughed when I read this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Don't forget the matches, canned food and your hope-proof, one-sided coated glasses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I didn't watch five of my buddies die in some friggin' rice paddy in 'nam to have the gubment outlaw my beloved guns!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When did Obama say he was going to take away guns and/or ammo?

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets."

Under the Crime and Law Enforcement section, 3/4 of the way down:

Organizing for America | BarackObama.com | Urban Policy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
When's the last time you went hunting with an Assault rifle?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets."

Under the Crime and Law Enforcement section, 3/4 of the way down:

Organizing for America | BarackObama.com | Urban Policy

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand what differentiates an "assault weapon" from a rifle used for sport or a handgun used for personal defense.

I guess if we're talking about things like Uzis, AK-47s and M16s, I don't see a place for those outside of the military, and I would agree with Obama. But if it's a more arbitrary classification that could be applied to weapons otherwise useful for sport or personal protection, then I disagree (although that statement alone wouldn't give me cause to stockpile weapons or ammunition).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
I want to say that I own guns, enjoy shooting, and fully support our rights to bear arms. That being said, some have abused the privilege, therefore laws must be put into place to protect the law abiding, responsible gun owners. The average american has no use for assault weapons. Legalization would make them MORE readily available to criminals.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just asking if any other firearm owners are experiencing difficulty in obtaining ammunition. And, if so, are they ordering in bulk for the first time like me. The "what is an assault weapon" debate has been done to death.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Just asking if any other firearm owners are experiencing difficulty in obtaining ammunition. And, if so, are they ordering in bulk for the first time like me. The "what is an assault weapon" debate has been done to death.
You then brought up the AWB.

Reaction score
Goobermint's goin' to take our guns seems to go around every so often. I think it is a conspiracy by the NRA to sell more guns & ammo. Sure seems to work. Every time!

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, another member asked if BHO was planning to support any bans. I merely pointed to BHO's own website and another member commented after that, etc...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I guess I just don't understand why people are stockpiling ammunition. The statement you referenced doesn't seem to relate to ammunition types that would be regularly used (at least I would hope that regular, law-abiding citizens aren't regularly using what I ordinarily think of as an assault weapon).

Just to clarify, I am not a gun owner, but I have often considered purchasing a weapon for personal protection. One of my best friends is a lifetime NRA member and is a gun enthusiast. He has taught me to fire a number of different handguns and has tried to educate me on gun ownership and concealed carry laws. Before I knew him, I didn't have much an opinion on gun ownership, but I do now. I believe in the right to bear arms, and I also believe that less government intervention is a good thing. I believe that gun control laws mostly limit the rights of law-abiding citizens, while criminals do what they would do anyway.

But what concerns me is the paranoia that the statement made by the Obama camp seems to have generated. I don't share that paranoia, unless there is something more substantial than support for banning military-style weapons.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the stockpiling is due because of the shortage of ammunition available at reasonable prices. The fear is that new or renewed legislation will make it unavailable or too expensive if you decide to purchase it later. Thus, there is quite a bit of panic buying. The ammunition I mentioned would be considered target ammunition by most as it is cheaper and less powerful than self defense ammunition and heavy hunting loads for long guns. The prices on that stuff (self defense ammunition and heavy hunting rounds) are through the roof. If you can find it. Honestly, Obama and a majority Democrat Legislature scare the heck out of many gun owners. Many gun owners believe there won't be any substantial gun legislation until after the 2010 mid terms as the controversy over a new gun or ammo legislation might hurt Democrat majority rule in bitter election year clashes. This in turn might be seen as reason to "get it while you can" mentality breaking out (in preparation for anticipated heavy gun unfriendly legislation which might easily pass after 2010). Just my thoughts on the topic of stockpiling ammunition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Not really, the stockpiling started November 5th. Sorry, you may or may not agree.. but this is the date I started seeing various forum posts by people about buying as many weapons and as much ammo as they could. I'm actually fairly well armed, but I'm also far from a knee-jerk reactionary.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guess I'm late to the party. LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.