firewire

Reaction score
I think my decision on my first mac is down to firewire as I will be using it for audio recording at uni, do you guys think firewire is essential for this or is it generally interchangable with usb but just a bit slower as transfering data? thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless you already have a device that requires Firewire (older camcorder) or will use some device that can only be connected via Firewire, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Firewire transfer speeds are more consistent than that of USB (Firewire 400 vs USB 2.0) even though the USB 2.0 speed is rated a bit higher than Firewire 400.

Just my opinion: You probably won't notice the difference. My MacBook has a built in Firewire 400 port which never gets used. And most every new device on the market nowadays is primarily designed for USB connection.

Regards.

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro has the 400 and 800 FireWire. The 400 is comparable to USB in speed, but the 800 is definitely faster(by 2X or more). I recommend getting an external drive that uses both 800 and USB. You'll definitely notice a quicker transfer rate with the FireWire 800. Not so much with the 400.

If you get a Mac that only has 800, rest assured there are backward compatible cables available to connect it to a 400 device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.