• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

HDTV Antenna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook black 2.2 GHz, 4Gb Ram - iPhone 4
i'm looking for opinions on hdvt antennas. i want to break free from comcast cable, but i still want hdtv,. i'm in houston, tx and all the local stations broadcast free hd, but i'm wondering what else is out there and what else can be picked up with an hdtv antenna. let me know your thoughts, opinions, experiences etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Same freqs as any other broadcast TV, so no need for a special antenna. Where there is a difference between the two is HD is far touchier than SD, that is.. you won't get a snowy signal.. you'll get no signal, or a choppy one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
AntennaWeb

Everything you need to know about antennas and which to get for your location.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
AntennaWeb is the site you need.

It'll give you a listing of all the stations available at your location, which direction the towers are located and advise as to which antenna to get.

Unless you are less than 10 miles from the towers; no hills, tall trees/buildings, etc. between you and them; will accept being able to only receive 3-10 of the 30 or 40 channels available in Houston; don't waste your time with an interior antenna. I've already used them all over the past 4-5 years. Just get the rooftop/attic antenna suggested there and save yourself a whole lot of frustration.

jah

Reaction score
if the antenna incorporates a transformer that part my have better bandwidth. otherwise the one i got from radio shack looks the same. i think the hd spec still calles out both uhf and vhf components?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.