2GB enough for Macbook recording?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
Hi all,

I have an early 2006 Macbook (2.0GHz C2D) that I plan on using for my home studio.
I have a Presonus Firestudio firewire interface. I plan on recording my drumset with 8 simultaneous inputs.

Unfortunately, Apple's website lists my Macbook as being limited to 2GB of RAM (which I currently have). However, I've read that it can use up to 3GB, just not in dual channel mode. Will this make a noticeable difference in performance?

Reaction score
I guess that all depends on what you want to do. If your recording 8 simultanous AUDIO tracks, it should work fine as long as you have your firewire interface set up for maximum latency performance. If your running quite a few midi tracks, its going to seriously bogg down your memory, especially if its synths and heavily sampled sounds. I would give it a try first, and if it doesn't work out, consider the upgrade to 3gb memory.

Reaction score
p.s., are you sure your macbook has a firewire input port? i thought that was only available on macbook pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
It's an 06 Macbook White or Black, it has Firewire 400. Vicariousgeorge, are you running tiger or Leopard?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.