windows xp main operating system

Reaction score
Ay guys new to mac but was looking at getting a new laptop.
mac book pro 15"
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
4gig ram
320gig hdd
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

with those specs i just wanna know if its possible to run windows xp as the main operating system and have no mac os at all with no partitions and still be able to run games etc at normal pc speeds etc with no problems

thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That's a very expensive way of running a Windows box, but it can be done

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
You can just install XP through Boot Camp and leave XP as the default partition to boot into, that would be the simplest way, if I recal correctly when you install XP via Boot Camp, Windows becomes primary boot by default

But, are you really sure you want to spend all the extra money on a Mac and then just use Windows anyway? Sure it is cool looking but honestly, I would laugh at some1 doing that (and people laugh at me for having Mac OS), just a waste of money imo ... again it's up to you and it is possible to run XP without using OS X

OP
S
Reaction score
lol expensive?

its going to cost me 3600-4000(in australia) for a normal pc laptop where if i buy the macbook costs me just under 3000 with student discount allrdy have all my pc software because iv used pc all my life from the very first 1 i built myself to my 6th now n dont really like mac os but havent used one in years so could have gotten better. And thanx only reason i want to is that i use xp alot faster just didnt know if having it would slow the laptop down so it wouldnt run as fast as a normal pc laptop

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only reason to purchase a Mac is for OSX. If you used Mac OS back in the OS9 or earlier days, it's a totally different OS based on BSD. If all you intend to do is run Windows and never even try OSX, just got a PC Laptop and save yourself a lot of headaches. If you have any issues at all, Apple will not help you. A Mac is for OSX and a smaller install of Windows for people who need a few apps or games not on OSX.

In the end it's your choice, but I would NEVER purchase a Mac unless I wanted OSX.

Reaction score
Strong advice: if this is what you want, use Boot Camp (comes with the Mac) and get a copy of whatever Windows flavor floats your boat. Install Windows under Boot Camp, and leave OSX on the Mac (in a smallish partition). That will allow you (1) to get Apple support, (2) to try the Mac OS (which you will like), (3) to maximize your resale value and (4) to boot directly into Windows and play your games, no problem.

I have to believe there are cheaper alternatives in Australia than the Mac for this purpose but if this is what you want, that's my advice

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know that I'd purchase a Mac unless I was wanting to try out a new OS either. That was my thought when I got mine. However, I don't find it inconceivable that a MBP might be chepaer on a spec by spec basis.

Haven't compared prices lately, but when I purchased my MBP, part of my reasoning at the time had to do with pricing. Looking at the other brands I was considering, the MBP was $350 cheaper than a same spec'd Dell and up to $700 cheaper than any of the other comparably equipped brands I was considering, including Sony, Alienware and a couple of others.

If you're comfortable troubleshooting your own machine when you run into problems I could recommend it. If you ever have the need to pick up the phone and call tech support, then I'm with everyone else, get a Windows based machine to start with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.