Any way to retreive my Airport Extreme password?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Can I retrieve/reset my Airport Extreme password without losing my network settings?

Hi,

I have an Airport Extreme 802.11n base station on which I have to do a firmware update (7.3.2 to 7.4.1) but being that I forgot my base station password, I can't proceed.

Is there a way to retrieve the password or do I need to reset the router? And if the latter, do I have to reconfigure everything from scratch or simply enter a new password for the base station? I don't need to reset my network password because I remember it.

The password was not saved in the keychain but in an encrypted file which I lost when my main iMac's HD crashed last week.

Thanks,
Gene

(Leopard 10.5.6)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My guess is if you save the profile of current settings then do a reset and apply new password and then import the settings that u saved before the reset you may just avoid having to load all the data manually. Hope that helps.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
My guess is if you save the profile of current settings then do a reset and apply new password and then import the settings that u saved before the reset you may just avoid having to load all the data manually. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the swift reply but how do I save (and import) the profile settings?

Cheers,
Gene

EDIT: Found the info, please disregard the above question.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops, can't save the current settings, I need the forgotten password to get to it.

I read in the online manual that pushing the base station's button for one second resets the password for 5 minutes to "public" which can be changed via Manual Setup from the Base Station's utility menu. So, I guess I'll give that a try tomorrow and hopefully everything will work out for the best...

Reaction score
Oops, can't save the current settings, I need the forgotten password to get to it.

I read in the online manual that pushing the base station's button for one second resets the password for 5 minutes to "public" which can be changed via Manual Setup from the Base Station's utility menu. So, I guess I'll give that a try tomorrow and hopefully everything will work out for the best...

I know this post is very dated but I was having this same problem, and it worked for me!! Your the man!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.