• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Need new mac - can't decide!!!

D

dlisle20

My 17" PowerBook has just died and i need a new computer. Because the 17" powerbook has dropped a few hundred quid in the last year and a half i have a little spare cash. Should I get a 15" powerbook with 512 Ram etc and an amazingly fast PC for games, music etc or just an amazing new 17" powerbook? The thing is is that macs are crap for games where as, you have to admit PC's are better at so should i get an amzing mac but no games even though i like them so much?

OP
U

urbandryad

HI dlisle! There are plenty of great games available for Mac right now. Here, here's one site that sells Mac compat games...

http://www.madmacgames.com/

And there are tons of shareware, demos and freeware, so finding games to play on a Mac that you like doesn't need to cost money. Are you JUST going to use it for gaming? Or other stuff as well. If its just for gaming, go ahead and get a PC, but if games are secondary then Mac is all right. I have Warcraft 3 and plan on getting Civilization and Age of Mythology, the Sims etc, once I have my new Mac . ^^;;

OP
D

dlisle20

a PC would be good for games...but i like macs so much as well - its agony!!!

OP
U

urbandryad

My only agony right now is trying to decide between a Mac Mini and an iBook. *swoon*

Here's an idea? Why not watch some of the videos and such on the Mac website to get a good look at what the Mac desktop looks like? The Keynote presentation by Steve Jobs gives a great overview of OS X Tiger. :3

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf05/

You could also go to a Mac store and ask to look around a bit, try out some of the computers. Do the same for a Mac store, and look at both options equally. If when you get home at the end of the day, there's one specific computer in your brain, you can use that as a guide? Just some ideas. ^^;;

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
go for the mac, you might be torn now but when your purposely trying to break your Dell in order to get a powerbook through the insurance you will ask why did you do it.

No seriously go for the PB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.