problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC G5 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz 3GB RAM, Macbook 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
Im thinking of putting a copy of windows on my imac...
anyone had many problems with it?
is it worth having it?
am i better off having a external HDD to run windows OS?
anyway of running the OS on a secondary screen while running leopard on main imac screen?

Help a newbie out :D

Scott

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I haven't had any issues but I installed Windows in a VM which I gather you aren't. Are you planning on using a VM or Boot Camp?

As to whether or not it's worth having it, only you can answer that question. Do you need Windows to do something that you can't on your Mac? Why are you installing it? My advice would be that if you can't answer those questions well (or at all), then you would be wasting space by installing it.

I don't really need it but seeing as I how I got Windows for free (legally), I installed it in a VM. I boot Windows up maybe once a week through VirtualBox and even then it's usually only to test something. If you don't already have Windows and have to buy it, why bother if you're not going to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
As a newbie, it is IMPERATIVE that you PRINT and READ the instructions BEFORE you attempt ANY installation of Windows on your iMac. Do not become one of the 100's newbies a month on this forum telling us about how you nuked your OSX partition installing Windows. Read the guide, please!!

One the other hand I have had XP on my iMac, as well as the Win 7 beta, both have run exceptionally well. The Win 7 beta took some foot work for the drivers and a few tweaks to some drivers to make it OK to install Vista 64 versions, don't try this one until you have done a few Bootcamps! There is also Parallels or VM Fusion too!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC G5 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz 3GB RAM, Macbook 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
i want to use it to play some PC games not capable for mac use, is bootcamp or VM the best way?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you are gaming, you're not going to have a choice unless the game is really old. You will have to go with Boot Camp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.