F-Keys

Reaction score
I want to purchase a keyboard for my new iMac. I am very unsatisfied with the current Apple and other manufacturers design of placing the F-Keys in one contiguous line directly above the number keys. I use F-Keys with QuicKeys constantly, and I find their location by touch. The separation above the other keys, as well as being in groups in 4, is critical to my learned neurological touch/response. I've given it two months, an it just isn't working.

I had a Matias. It was great. I spilled juice on it and it croaked. They've stopped making them. Harrumph!

Logitech came out with two new Mac keyboards. They placed the F-Keys "correctly" in one (without a number pad), and "wrong" in the other. They are both Bluetooth.

Then we have the iMac Bluetooth issue. In a nutshell, the new iMac has trouble staying connected to a keyboard. There is no fix and Apple isn't talking. I've tried 3 keyboards, and gave up. Please don't elaborate on this here -- there are other posts for that.

I'm about at my wits end. I have scoured the internet, and seem to be stuck.

I am looking for a wired keyboard that has the F-Keys in their "rightful place" (separated above the number keys, and delineated in groups), has a full compliment (F1-F15), and has keys that are or can be QuicKeyed (can I use that as that a verb?) to adjust the volume.

A Windows keyboard with the right compliment of keys would be fine. I've found a few from some Chinese manufacturers (Mac Keyboard China Manufacturers) but not sure about their reliability or availability.

I would rather not have the touted, but noisy, mechanical keys, as my desk sits on the opposite side of a wall to my bedroom. If one of us is on the keyboard, it could disturb domestic tranquility!

Any suggestions?

OP
L
Reaction score
In fact, someone else recommended those shortly after I made this post yesterday. Don't know why I didn't find them earlier, nor why they do not show up when searching Google for Mac keyboards.

At MacWorld in January, I learned Matias had stopped making the Tactile Keyboard, so I didn't even stop by their booth. Turns out, they have the Tactile 2 Keyboard!

I've already ordered a USB 2.0 Keyboard from OWC. It will be here in a few days, and I'll update this post with a review.

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.