problems installing HP Officejet J4580 drivers

Reaction score
I just bought a HP Officejet J4580 and I am having a lot issues with it.

Had problems installing the drives from the provided disc. Ended up downloading them from the HP site.

Now both the scanner and copier work fine, but it will not print any documents. Tried printing off both an email and a Microsoft Word document.
Message just say Idle Waiting for Generic..... something.

Any suggestions? Is this a common problem? My receipt is good for 10 more days, should I get a different printer? Any recommendations? One of the forums suggested the Epson 740 is very popular with Mac Users.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any suggestions? Is this a common problem? My receipt is good for 10 more days, should I get a different printer? Any recommendations? One of the forums suggested the Epson 740 is very popular with Mac Users.

I can't speak for the Epson, however, both HP and Canon printers generally work very well with Mac OS X. Besides, returning your HP printer may cost you a return fee because of the consumables.

When you go to System Preferences, Print & Fax, does your HP printer show up in the dialog? If it does, click on the box that says "Options & Supplies".

Next, select the Driver tab. Is the correct driver showing up? If not, use the scroll down arrow until you find the correct driver downloaded from HP. Select it and click OK. Exit out of System Preferences and try your printer again.

Let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.