Safari slow to load pages on new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66/4GB/640 OS x 10.5 Leopard
I have my new iMac (24" 2.66/4GB/640/SD/MSE/KB) sitting beside my 5-year-old (Windows XP) PC while preparing to migrate my PC files. When I use Safari on the iMAC, it takes about 3 times as long to load the internet pages as as the PC, which connects instantly. This is true with the initial Safari load as well as each subsequent site. I wait.......while the blue shade runs slooooowly across the URL. I'm running both on a the same household wireless network.
My friend who has the identical iMac does not have this problem. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Penryn 17in MBP
Last week my browsing experience was crazy slow like you described; I had entered my Work's VPN server ip settings in the DNS server box in Network Preferences.

These should be automatically set up with DHCP, so make sure you didn't enter anything in there manually…

I doubt this is your problem, but hey, just in case. ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have my new iMac (24" 2.66/4GB/640/SD/MSE/KB) sitting beside my 5-year-old (Windows XP) PC while preparing to migrate my PC files. When I use Safari on the iMAC, it takes about 3 times as long to load the internet pages as as the PC, which connects instantly. This is true with the initial Safari load as well as each subsequent site. I wait.......while the blue shade runs slooooowly across the URL. I'm running both on a the same household wireless network.
My friend who has the identical iMac does not have this problem. Any ideas?

Sounds like a DNS issue. Make sure you have the correct DNS addresses listed in your System Preferences, Network, Advanced, DNS. If you don't know what they are, check with your ISP.

If by chance you're using Verizon FIOS as your ISP, post back for additional info regarding DNS.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slow Safari

Thanks for the tips! Trying out Open DNS.

Reaction score
did you resolve? I'm having same exact issue with my new 24" 2.66 iMac, replacement for my old g5. My internet server hasn't changed or even been unplugged - it was much faster on the g5, before g5 died last week. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz
I am on my first mbp, actually my first mac and wifi seems a little slower for me as well. It is normal on my widows machines but not on my mac. Just got the mac monday...

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still unresolved. OpenDNS did not make a difference. Wondering if I should wipe and reinstall everything?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.