adding PS3 to network

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help me with my nightmare that's connecting my PS3 to the net!

I have an iMac with O2 wireless broadband (dongle connected via USB) and have connected my PS3 via eternet to my iMac.

I go through the manual setup on the PS3 to connect via a wired connection and always get the DNS error.

The PS3 asks for the IP address, default router, primary DNS and secondary DNS.

When i go into network settings my IP address is different for the ethernet connection and my O2 broadband connection plus it doesnt tell me anywhere where i can get the DNS servers.

In general i'm unsure what settings i should be using - any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I don't think you're going to be able to make that work. First off, consoles are notoriously fickle about latency, which you'll have in abundance with a cellular-based wireless connection, no matter how fast it's peak speeds are advertised to be. Secondly, you're basically trying to make your Mac act as a router to share out the Internet connection, which tends to be a cumbersome and unreliable process to begin with.

My advice would be to scrap the idea altogether and go with a landline if you want to do online gaming. You'll save yourself a whole lot of frustration in the long run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.