• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Florida teachers losing their Apples

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Florida teachers losing their Apples
September 13, 2003 - 18:54 EDT School administrators, teachers and students in Florida's Pinellas County will soon have to learn Windows as the district slowly replaces its Macs with PCs. "The directive came from Pinellas County superintendent Howard Hinesley, who wants to the district to use one type of computer instead of two," according to the St. Petersburg Times. "That decision has angered some administrators and teachers who can't fathom parting with their Apple computers, even if it won't happen for several years. Two of every three computers owned by the school district are Apples. Hinesley said the Macs will be replaced by PCs as they become obsolete."

My Comments: This is just plain sad :( I thought schools were into progressive thinking? Ugh just too bad :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
2 of every 3 computers are Macs? Why are the making such a dumb move? Money of course....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
My school district got rid of macintosh years ago. Its a shame.. and kinda ironic, a macintosh is the server for the school.. and they have a macintoshes as graphic design computers. :)

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Columnist slams superintendent for phasing out Macs

Source: MacMinute.com

Columnist slams superintendent for phasing out Macs
September 17, 2003 - 17:44 EDT St. Petersburg Times columnist Howard Troxler has written a priceless article on the decision of Howard Hinesley, the superintendent in Pinellas County (Florida), to eliminate Macs from the public schools and switch to PCs. "I totally endorse the decision... After all, the entire point of public education is to prepare children for the real world, and the real world is dominated by Windows. There is no sense in letting kids get accustomed to easier-to-use, more reliable machines that are less prone to viruses when they will have to grow up and survive in the modern workplace." In addition to Troxler's hilarious commentary, there are fake Windows errors -- such as "THIS PROGRAM HAS PERFORMED AN ILLEGAL OPERATION AND WILL BE SHUT DOWN" and "WARNING: THIS OPERATION HAS BEEN CANCELED BY THE SYSTEM" -- littered throughout the article.

My Comments: *rofl* Great article! :) Exactly what I wanted to say, but he did it so much more eloquently :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
LOL, classic :) we need more people like them writting articles.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.