Boot Camp: Windows XP Install Stuck

Reaction score
[MacBook Pro-2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo -- OS X (10.5.6)]

I'm attempting to install Windows XP (sp3, licensed/retail Windows disk) and installation is stopping directly after the 'Install devices' finishes. I have 33 minutes remaining, the windows hints/features images stop progressing, and the install just stops from there. I had the 33 minutes remaining screen showing for roughly 4 hours.

I know there have been quite a few posts on many forums regarding this but I've yet to find any real answer to the problem.

What I've tried/checked:

Different partition sizes, large and small, NFTS and FAT formatting.
No devices plugged in. Just me and my MacBook.
Did complete OS X wipe, updated to 10.5.6 and tried again.

This is my first time trying to run Boot Camp and I am a new Mac user, but from reading the guides and whatnot I've gotten the impression my results aren't typical. I'm just tossing this out there because I anticipate there will be vocabulary thrown around that I'm not completely familiar with.

**Above is a c&p of the question I originally posted on the Apple Boot Camp support forums Here, no solutions were given (in case anyone cares to look in on the discussion)***

I'm going to add a rather poor visual guide for the forums here, which will probably make this post a whopper but I've been trying to find some sort of solution to this problem for nearly 2 weeks. Apple phone support doesn't help and I can't take off during my work day to play with the guys at the Genius Bar, so I'm really hoping someone here knows of a solution :)

I've dug through many forums and seen this problem presented elsewhere with no real explanation of a solution. It's very possible I missed a solution elsewhere and if I have I apologize for bringing it up again. Forwarding any relevant links would be appreciated- I've tried very hard to not be all 'Dear Lazyweb' about this and to find my own solution.

So hopefully the below images will give some sort of idea of where I'm getting stuck at, and (I'm hoping) will alert someone to something I'm doing wrong so I can fix it. I'm sincerely hoping I'm making a mistake somewhere, read instructions wrong, or am generally suffering from a mac newbie/ reading comprehension issue. Remember this is my first time with Boot Camp, so be gentle.

a426bk.jpg

Tried Windows XP (SP3) and XP (SP2), for this attempt I'm going with the full/licensed/unused XP (SP2) Disk.
jz8yo2.jpg

Windows partition is set.
f3f0ur.jpg

Disk is inserted and Boot Camp assistant restarts in to Windows setup.
nxrrig.jpg

Windows setup: Pressed 'Enter' to begin setup.
xlcj9h.jpg

EULA : F8 pressed to agree and continue
2emnznt.jpg

Selecting the partition, the C: boot camp partition is selected, pressed enter.
sfaqyr.jpg

Formatting with NTFS because of the partition size. Have tried quick formats, reduced partition size and tried formatting FAT. No dice.
2h2mn0h.jpg

F to Format
116niig.jpg

Setup begins.

OP
M
Reaction score
ok0386.jpg

As does installation.
1z56ipd.jpg

And this is as far as we get every time. I've come to hate this screen and can probably recite the 'Regional and Language Options' from memory. Regardless of installation disk, format type, time of day, weather, ambient lighting, and my mood at the time of installation this is as far as I've ever gotten. The progress bar for 'Installing Devices' completes, disk stops spinning, and the setup stops. Mouse pointer is still moveable. After hours of angry pacing and hoping I eventually hard restart back in to OS X.

2h71mk9.png

There are some Windows files living in the new partition when viewed from OS X, but installation never completes, and if you try to boot in to windows it takes you right back to the installation screens again.

My apologies again for the 13 pictures. Insert something about them being worth a thousand words here.

Thank you in advance to anyone able to help or point me in the right direction.
[Searching forum settings for a 'Spoiler' type option to shove all these images in]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook black 2.2 GHz, 4Gb Ram - iPhone 4
you get farther than i do. i'll be watching this post for the replies... i'm have trouble too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The disc has SP3 integrated?

OP
M
Reaction score
For this attempt, or at least for the one with all the pretty pictures, I was using a retail, full version of XP home (SP2).

I have a full version with sp3 that I've also tried and gotten hung up at the exact same spot.

Reaction score
i dont think anything is stuck. that "language" screen is the next part of the installation. click next and enter all the information and the installation should continue.

OP
M
Reaction score
Tried that, of course, screen doesn't budge from there.

As a little bit of an update though, I did get a boot camp install to finish using tiny xp. So, I guess thats something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
had the same windows xp pro install trouble

I'm no computer expert, and am a new mac user as well. The exact same thing happened to me where I began xp pro installation through bootcamp and when it got to 33 remaining, it just never progressed after that. I'm pretty sure you have tried this, but after about 2 hours, I just held down the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off. Then I powered back on and it seemed to pick up a little before it left off saying it would be complete in 39 minutes. It's down to 3 minutes remaining and I'm crossing my fingers. I hope you are able to figure it out because I didn't find much in searching forums on this problem either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.