3G Reception issue...

Reaction score
Since this past Monday, I noticed my phone was showing an Edge symbol for reception instead of 3G in areas I usually have full 3G. I first noticed it at my work desk and figured maybe there's a minor issue with the network and my 3G service would be restored. I went home and noticed I was only getting Edge service there... So yesterday at work, when the Edge symbol was displayed I went into my network settings and disabled and re-enabled 3G. It then gave me my typical full 3G service. I then noticed later in the day that it went back to Edge only. All I had to do is reset the network setting again and it was fully restored. I realize it's a quick fix but I shouldn't have to keep restarting my 3G network. It's quite annoying.

Has anyone heard of this issue before? Is it fixable? I've tried restarting my phone (really don't want to restore...) and I haven't had the time to sit and wait on the phone for customer service... thanks!

Reaction score
more than likely its the phone. the 3G network will not bounce like that, its either up or its down. and if its down its only on that tower or maybe a few towers and the problems usually are not related.

there could be a slight possibility that a network update over the weekend could have changed some quality settings in the network and now your phone is out of the acceptable range and its dropping down to edge.

All wireless companies can adjust the settings to what is an acceptable signal level the network will accept from any phone on its network to access certain parts of the network, like 3g, edge and so on. These quality settings are what determines your perception of poor or good signal quality.

the phones, over time and depending on how well you treat your phone will degrade in quality, thus causing you to perceive bad network issues, when in fact its actually your phone

OP
pixeldamage
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'm actually sending my phone back for a trade in due to the encasement splitting allowing dust to get the front screen (very annoying). So hopefully if it was the phone (which isn't THAT old and I take great care of) this problem will just work itself out that way. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.