Windows keeps doing Chkdsk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
As the title says, XP keeps going through ChkDsk each time i start it through Bootcamp. And it's the Chkdsk that has a 5 step process, i left to go do something, and came back, it ended up taking about 2 hours to finish. So what can i do to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Chkdsk will run automatically if it thinks the drive is "dirty". Try this.

When booted to Windows XP: Open up a command prompt (cmd.exe) and run chkdsk. That will tell you if there are any errors on the drive. It will not make repairs because the drive must be dismounted first.

If it comes back with errors, run chkdsk again. But this time use "chkdsk /f". It will respond that it will run on the next bootup and repair errors. That should clean the drive.

Let us know if that works. BTW, drives formatted to FAT-32 are prone to errors more so than those formatted to NTFS.

Regards.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Things, i can't even get to the Windows desktop, and also it's formatted for NTFS, not FAT32.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try this solution: boot into safe mode and run chkntfs. With that tool, you can prevent chkdsk from running at startup. Now, I would recommend that this be a temporary solution as chkdsk usually runs at startup for a reason.

If that works, we can go from there.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try this solution: boot into safe mode and run chkntfs. With that tool, you can prevent chkdsk from running at startup. Now, I would recommend that this be a temporary solution as chkdsk usually runs at startup for a reason.

If that works, we can go from there.

Alright, i tried booting to safe mode, but the computer froze at this file: MDFSYSNT.sys, and wouldn't go any further. I let it go for 30mins, still the same spot, so i just came back to Leopard. I was just thinking, i have VMWare fusion installed, and i know that that has recognized my Bootcamp partition. If i boot through that, would i be able to turn chkdsk off through that? Awhile ago, when i used parallels, i tried booting to Bootcamp through that, and it ended up ruining the boot sequence, and i had to wipe the partition. Would Vmware do that?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's worth a shot. Since you can't boot Windows right now, it can't hurt to try.

You could also try to do a repair installation (Method 2 listed here). If you can, backup the data from your Windows partition first in case something goes awry.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's worth a shot. Since you can't boot Windows right now, it can't hurt to try.

You could also try to do a repair installation (Method 2 listed here). If you can, backup the data from your Windows partition first in case something goes awry.

I'll have to try method 2, because Vmware said that windows wasn't properly shut down, so it couldn't boot to it.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know what, i took a look at Method 2, but i was a little confused as to which one i should do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the page, follow these instructions:
To reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
The following message on the Welcome to Setup screen will appear:
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER. To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
4. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the page, follow these instructions:

You know what, i tried the last known config option, and it actually worked, i don't know why i didn't think of that before. But i ran the chkntfs, and chkdsk hasn't run after 3 restarts, so i'm happy now. Thanks for your help!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad I could help. Like I said before, it would be worth investigating the cause of the chkdsk at startup. You would be best to have chkdsk on to repair any errors. Since a previous configuration worked, something has changed to cause this whole chkdsk mess.

Nonetheless, glad to hear it's working. Best of luck for you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.