PDA

View Full Version : Running Windows on a non intel mac?

superboy2021
03-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Hi Guys -

I did a search on the site to see if there were any other threads but I couldn't find anything. I recently bought an old iBook G4 from a friend and I wanted to install Parallels on the machine, however it's not an intel based mac so that's a no go. Is there any software that will work for a non intel-based mac?

Any help welcome :)

dtravis7
03-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Only application I have ever used that allowed Windows on a PPC Mac was Virtual PC. It's SLOW. No matter how fast the Power PC Mac is, Windows runs very slow. Google Virtual PC.

superboy2021
03-23-2009, 05:30 AM
Ahhh OK - So maybe it's not worth it. I've not heard great stuff about Virtual PC. Thanks for your reply!

cwa107
03-23-2009, 08:08 AM
There's also iEmulator, but unless you're talking about a fairly powerful PPC system (like a G5), it's probably not going to be worth getting into - especially now that first generation Intel Macs are available used for far less than half the original retail.

Aptmunich
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I agree with the others: Don't bother.

I used it once or twice on a 1Ghz G4 (free licenses through university) and it's not even close to being useable.

This is what it's like:
Move mouse > wait for menu to be highlighted > click > wait for click to register > wait some more > wait > And there's your window.

And that's the start menu :)