iTunes Application

Reaction score
I've been looking for something like this for a while, and I'm sure it would be a big hit if it were to come out. I'm not a programmer, but it seems easy enough to create as shareware.

You're hosting a party and you don't have a playlist pre-made, so you're picking songs as you go. The only problem is that you're not completely sure the song that you're going to pick, is what you think it is--yet you can't check it because it would go over the speakers.

Could a program be written that would allow the headphone jack and the internal speakers to be split? If it is possible, an audio jack could be plugged into the Mac, and then a small program could be pulled up next to iTunes that you could drag music from iTunes into this ap... and it would play via the internal speakers.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I doubt it would be possible, because it seems to me that headphones-turning-off-the-speakers is a totally hardware thing. You might need to use some kind of USB-based sound monitor, and software that will allow you to select an audio output source (SoundFlower is a good freeware option)...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.