Certain websites hang using Airport wireless with Linksys router

Reaction score
Guys, this is driving me crazy! :Oops: :Shouting: :(

I got a new wireless ADSL router (Cisco Linksys)... all set up and working OK, except that I can't access certain sites from my Macbook pro using wireless.

These are the facts:
iMac using same OS & same setup works fine
Macbook Pro works fine on other websites (via wireless)
Macbook Pro works fine on all sites when connected via ethernet
I've tried reducing MTU on router, no change

An example of a site that always hangs: Musician's Friend | Your Online Music Instrument & Pro Audio Store | Best Prices, Great Service
This site consistently hangs from Macbook Pro via Airport, but is OK from iMac or from Macbook Pro using wired connection to router.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Paul

(PS: originally posted in 'Anything goes' - sorry :[ )

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nice site. (We usually do our shopping at the Guitar Center.) The site loaded fine for me, no hanging.

If that site and the others you're having problems with are OK when you hook up via ethernet, then it could be a security issue. You didn't mention which security protocol you were using? (WEP, WPA, WPA2)

As a test, you might try removing security from the Linksys and give it a try that way. (Of course, don't leave it without security permanently) If by chance, you're using WEP: WEP has been known to cause problems and it's really not very secure.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give that a go... although my iMac is using same setup and works OK! I'm using WPA security on the wireless.

BTW, I didn't mention... I'm in UK

OP
R
Reaction score
Just in case anyone else id having the same problem.... it was the wireless encryption. :(

Change WPA to WEP and it's OK. Don't know why... tried all WPA combinations, all problematic but WEP OK (but WEP is outdated protocol and not very secure!).

Oh well, I'm relieved to have it working OK, but disappointed that WPA won't work. The MBP is only 2 yrs old.

Thanks for help

Paul

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This happened right after the new Linksys router? Is the MBP totally up to date update wise from Apple?

Also I have seen with certain routers issues with WPA with TKIP if I remember right. Try in OSX changing from TKIP to AES and on the router also. Can't hurt to try as it did help someone I know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.