Error connecting to network

Reaction score
Okay so here goes.

I downloaded some updates (including a WIFI update I think) for my MacBook Pro on Friday evening and on Saturday morning when I tried to connect wirelessly to the internet I began having problems. Every time I tried to connect to my home network I was prompted to insert my password which I didn't need to before, I have WPA2 security enabled. After inserting the correct password I kept getting the pop up window 'Error connecting to Network' and I'm confused as to why?

On 1 March 'Telefonica O2' upgraded our internet connection so I'm not sure if this will have affected it somehow.

I have a G5 iMac which connects no problem and I also have a PlayStation 3 which can also connect so I'm thinking it must just be the update on my Macbook.

Regarding the PS3, I began having problems establishing a connection with my opponents on FIFA 09 online only a few days prior to this problem, not only from Saturday morning. I had resolved this issue a few months earlier through port forwarding, so when I checked the I.P. address of the PS3 and the ports that had been forwarded I noticed that the I.P. address of the PS3 had switched from 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.4 – Not sure if that information is helpful to the situation with my Macbook but I'm just trying to gather what might have happening and how I should go about resolving the problem.

Apologies for the essay and thanks for any help in advance.

Hardware:
Intel iMac (Connects)
PS3 (Connects)
Intel Macbook Pro (Error connecting to Network)
ZyXEL P-660HW Router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
are you having problems solely with connecting to your wifi or to the internet?? I mean, do you have a wifi signal and are connected ok to the home network?

if you do connect to your home network and don't get internet, then you should see your router setup for connection you your provider, the internet speed upgrade might need some resetting ( and sometimes all problems are solved with turing off the router and resetting it again)

you might also have problem with connecting to the network with the right encryption, make sure you have the tight wpa settings and correct password ... you didn't get prompted for a password before, because it was stored on your keychain

OP
S
Reaction score
^^ Thanks for the reply. I'm only trying to connect to the internet wirelessly, I don't actually have all the Macs linked to each other as my post may have sounded. I can see the network, I try to select it, I'm prompted to enter the password, I enter it correctly and then the pop-up appears with 'error connecting'.

I just don't understand why its only the Macbook having trouble when my iMac works perfectly as before. I've checked the WPA security settings and they are unchanged so I don't see how that could be an issue.

I did switch the router off and on again but I guess thats not a proper reset is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
the reset would only apply if you had problems connecting to your provider, but if all your other computers work fine, then that's not the problem

do you use anything other than a wpa password? some certificate maybe? or do you have more profiles on you MBP and it's using the wrong profile to connect?

and you only get "error connecting" and nothing else I presume, any details I mean ... there must be some configuration you are missing, anything from ip addresses to wpa encryption ...

hopefully you will be able to sort it out soon, be sure to post back when you do

sry for not being much help though ...

OP
S
Reaction score
It's good to have others bring up possible reasons for the problem as there might be something that I haven't thought of yet. I'm not very tech minded so I'm not too confident when it comes round to fiddling with settings etc.

There is only one user on the MBP, not multiple and regarding the certificate I've never come across that before so I guess its not applicable here.

Reaction score
Hey, I've had exactly the same problem since updating the airport drivers over the weekend.

Is there any way to rollback the drivers to the previous version?

Or

Uninstall Airport completely and re-install the previous version?

This is soo annoying!

OP
S
Reaction score
I've posted this topic on another forum and had a few responses. I've not tried the following yet but this might be helpful...

So you aren't even connecting to the base station. You have to approach this stuff in the correct order...
For a start, connect to the base station using an ethernet cable and turn off WPA and WEP so the WiFI network is open. Only try to turn wifi security (WPA or WEP) back on again after you have successfully:
- connected to the WiFi network
- the base station has assigned a (local) IP address to your Mac
- you've successfully conected from your Mac to the internet.
Your base station will be assigning a local IP address to your Mac (like 192.168.0.2). It might be fixed (if you want it to be) or usually you would have it set to DHCP (automatic) and the base station dishes out IP addresses as it likes to the connected computers. If it shows something like 169.254.198.71 in the Network preferences then your Mac has not been assigned an IP address by the base station.

Here is the link the the thread too incase there are any updates...

QBN - Wireless Connection Problems

Reaction score
I have had the same problem. I updated Airport Utility to 5.4.1 on Friday or Saturday, and since then, the connection to my Airport Extreme BS is unstable. I can connect to my neighbor's Belkin router just fine. I can connect to the AE at times, and it may stay connected for 15 minutes, but then I notice that the uptime indicator has disappeared. The icon still indicates that I'm connected, but I can't access the internet. The network utility still shows that I have an IP address, however. Sometimes, it will spontaneously re-connect, but it might only hold a few seconds. Or it will demand the WPA password. If I type it in, it will spin for a bit and timeout.

I tried the suggestion of disabling WPA, but still no joy. Right now I want to roll back the update, because I think it's the culprit, but I'm not sure how.

OP
S
Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas?

Somebody on another forum posted that if I you MBP has an IP address of something like 169.254.198.71 then the MBP has not been assigned an IP Address by the base station. Not entirely sure what that means though or what I should do to change it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
the computer assigned the IP address (169......) instead of the router, I'm having the same problem connecting my fathers mac, i connected PC and mac os10.4 to the network, which has WPA, i've tried the suggestion posted with no joy, i don't think it recognises WPA, so i need to figure something out as WEP is too weak an ecryption....
did anyone figure it out?

Reaction score
I have had the same problem. I updated Airport Utility to 5.4.1 on Friday or Saturday, and since then, the connection to my Airport Extreme BS is unstable. I can connect to my neighbor's Belkin router just fine. I can connect to the AE at times, and it may stay connected for 15 minutes, but then I notice that the uptime indicator has disappeared. The icon still indicates that I'm connected, but I can't access the internet. The network utility still shows that I have an IP address, however. Sometimes, it will spontaneously re-connect, but it might only hold a few seconds. Or it will demand the WPA password. If I type it in, it will spin for a bit and timeout.

I tried the suggestion of disabling WPA, but still no joy. Right now I want to roll back the update, because I think it's the culprit, but I'm not sure how.

I have kind of the same problem since I updated Airport Util. It shows my Network but request a password and then goes into "Connection Timeout".
I can only connect to the Base Station and iNternet through an Ethernet cable. This for both my Imac and Mac Book (1TB Time Machine).
Any other place to get help??? TIA

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.