Bootcamp: Constant blue screen + restart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
I've been running Bootcamp fine for months until today it just crashed so I forced a reboot, and now whenever it gets to the Windows load screen it blue screens for half a second a restarts the computer. Before this occurs, I am prompted to start Windows normally, select last known good configuration, (both of these blue screen) or start in safe mode which I haven't tried but I don't really know how to resolve the issue even if that works. Does anyone know what I can do to remedy this?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Windows under BC is still Windows ... I would certainly try Safe Mode but suspect based on other posts it wont work either. I have not tried to boot from a Windows disc but you could try that during the boot process. However, assuming you can still boot into OSX, you may well have to delete the partition (use the Restore function in Boot Camp Assistant) and reinstall Windows. You didnt say what flavor of Windows you installed, but I'll assume that it was a single disc, retail or OEM version of XP SP2/SP3 or Vista as specified by the instructions. Not sure whether XP vs. Vista would make a difference, but the more details you give folks the more help you can get.

Good luck!

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
It's Windows XP home edition SP2. I've still got the CD but I seem to have lost the product key. Is there any way to procure the key without having to buy a new copy of Windows?

Reaction score
You could try to call MS - if properly registered, they may help. Otherwise, don't think so.

Good luck!

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright I've found the key actually, so I deleted the Windows partition with Bootcamp setup assistant. Then I tried to partition it again and start over. The application told me there was a problem with the partitioning and I needed to run Disk Utility and repair. The verification could not complete due to another error in Disk Utility. So I tried restarting the computer, but it won't start up. It's stuck in a never ending loop (with the loading circle spinning) on the Apple logo startup screen. Now what?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Alright I've found the key actually, so I deleted the Windows partition with Bootcamp setup assistant. Then I tried to partition it again and start over. The application told me there was a problem with the partitioning and I needed to run Disk Utility and repair. The verification could not complete due to another error in Disk Utility. So I tried restarting the computer, but it won't start up. It's stuck in a never ending loop (with the loading circle spinning) on the Apple logo startup screen. Now what?

Make sure you're running Disk Utility from your Leopard DVD install media and not while OS X is active. In other words, boot from the DVD first. Try it that way and let us know.

Regards.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I boot up from the install discs?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How do I boot up from the install discs?

Insert your Leopard DVD 1, reboot and hold down the "C" key or "Option" key as soon as you hear the chime. The machine will boot from the DVD. It does take a bit longer to boot so be patient.

After the machine boots, select Utilities - Disk Utilities, from the top menu. Verify and repair the disk. Verify and repair disk permissions.

For info purposes - you can not repair your hard drive while it's mounted and the operating system is active, that's why you should boot from the install DVD.

Regards.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. According to disk utility there were problems and they were repaired. However, I am still experiencing the same problem when trying to boot the computer. Is my only option now to delete everything and reinstall OSX?

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am now attempting to reinstall OSX. Every time I do this it checks the install disc for errors and then stops at some point during the installaion. There is no error, it simply decides to take an infinite amount of time to install...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am now attempting to reinstall OSX. Every time I do this it checks the install disc for errors and then stops at some point during the installaion. There is no error, it simply decides to take an infinite amount of time to install...

It sounds like the hard drive may be failing or has already failed. That may have been what caused Windows to crash. The drive was then intermittent enough so that you could get back into OS X and remove the BC partition. However, now it looks the drive might be gone.

Do you have a backup? Time Machine? If you do, swap out the hard drive and restore from Time Machine. If no backup, you'll have to do a complete new install of OS X and applications. Your data might be lost.

Regards.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it looks like it's a serious hardware issue. However, I ran the hardware test on the OS X installation CD and it didn't find any problems. I don't have any backups/time machine/external hard drives, but it's all replaceable data... it's just a matter of time getting everything set up again after I have my computer serviced. I've been browsing other Apple forums and it looks like a lot of people have been experiencing this issue. It seems there is a logic board (whatever that means, Apple term for motherboard?) failure going around with these iMacs. Unfortunately, Apple seems to be in denial about this issue and has not ordered a recall. I'm still under my one year warranty, but a lot of other people have not been so lucky and are being forced into paying upwards of $900 for a new logic board. I'll be taking my iMac in for service soon and seriously reconsidering purchasing that extended warranty. Thanks for your help everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.