• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Open Source Community Developing Their Own Viruses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Open Source Community Developing Their Own Viruses
Blogged by Meryl @ 07:43AM / Linkback

Open source developers plan to challenge Microsoft's dominance in the world of viruses by developing their own through the Open Virus Project (OVP), and unlike proprietary Microsoft viruses, the open source versions will infect across all platforms.

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2003/08/open_source_virus.html

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't think Brian Briggs has done his homework on this subject. This must be a joke. If he had gone to any security site. He would have found taht Linux has it fair share of security holes also. All modern operating systems have some sort security problem. I receive more than 15 security alerts a day on various favors of operating systems with some type of security flaw. Yes, M$ is the biggest problem, but everyone has a problem from time to time. Mr Brian Briggs, should do better research before he write any thing like this. Unless this is a joke, which I think it is.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*grin* yeah when I first read it.. I felt the same :) I just had to post it since that site is like hmm.. I cant remember the other satirical website's name hmm.. anyways if you go down to the footer of the page you'll see that it's a joke site :) The part that made me realize it was a joke was when I got down to the bottom of the article it said:

"The Justice Department has started investigations into the virus monopoly by Microsoft."

That's when I realized.. this has got to be a joke! :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, okay, I only read the first few lines of the article.

I think you are thinking of the onion. :D

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah the Onion :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Onion I know that! :D Madison man :)

ok, so if its not a joke, were screwed.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Graphite said:
Onion I know that! :D Madison man :)

ok, so if its not a joke, were screwed.

If there are security problem in OS X. I think Apple will be on top of it. I don't think they want M$ reputation.

N

nko

I'm willing to bet there are plenty of OS X exploits, but Apple's on it all like rugby players on a scrawny little scared guy :). When I first set up my iMac, there were security updates. Like, 3 of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Yeah apple will counter any security flaws they find before telling us about them and even before anyone else finds them. I expect an update of Panther about a week or two after its released. We should just be happy we have an OS that takes care of its consumers. I know M$ still hasn't combatted half of all their errors, bugs, and security holes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.