Wireless Routers, can they be used on Macbooks running the MAC OS

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old macbook about 2 years... I want to get wireless internet at home. I was considering purcashing a belkin or linksys wireless router to use at home.

My question is, because these I guess are mainly designed for windows based PC.. will there be a way I can actually install the router then go to change the settings of the router (i.e. change network name, password etc)... or would it simply not be compatible with my mac?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wireless routers use industry standard 802.11 technology that is platform agnostic. So, yes, you should be fine with just about any router, although I would recommend D-Link or Linksys, but not Belkin as much (just personal opinion and experience).

OP
A
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the rapid response. Let me try to go puchase one of these. I have been told they are significantly cheaper than the apple options?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, non-Apple routers are cheaper. And, as cwa107 alluded to, there is no need to buy an Apple branded product simply because Apple makes it. For instance, you don't have to buy Time Capsule to use Time Machine. In fact, I use a Western Digital (I think...I forget now) hard drive with Time Machine for instance. RAM is another one - "Apple compatible" RAM is a scam. This RAM is much like any other RAM but just more expensive.

Reaction score
The Solution?

Hi all,

I'm having issues with my Macbook Pro Snowleopard 10.6.8 kicking off the PS3's on my network. The router *resets* the network and comes back on. I'm working with a AT&T 2wire gateway.

Is my only solution to upgrade my router? If so, how do I do it because I'm pretty sure it's going to be complicated dealin' with the AT&T business. If I just get the DSN from my ISP can I program that into any router?

Will upgrading my Macbook Pro to Lion help or hurt?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
The Western Digital My Book Live series is compatible out of the box with Time Machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi all,

I'm having issues with my Macbook Pro Snowleopard 10.6.8 kicking off the PS3's on my network. The router *resets* the network and comes back on. I'm working with a AT&T 2wire gateway.

Is my only solution to upgrade my router?

Are you using static IP on the PS3? It sounds like an IP conflict to me - and it just so happens that the DHCP server is serving the Macbook out an IP that's already in use by the PS3.

If so, how do I do it because I'm pretty sure it's going to be complicated dealin' with the AT&T business. If I just get the DSN from my ISP can I program that into any router?

What do you mean?

Will upgrading my Macbook Pro to Lion help or hurt?

Thanks!

It shouldn't make a difference either way. This is an issue with your router, not the clients attached to it.

Reaction score
Are you using static IP on the PS3? It sounds like an IP conflict to me - and it just so happens that the DHCP server is serving the Macbook out an IP that's already in use by the PS3.

What do you mean?

It shouldn't make a difference either way. This is an issue with your router, not the clients attached to it.

Thanks for the quick response. I am not quite sure about anything to be honest, I am not really acquainted with the way things are here because I'm not the one who set up the network, yet all I know is that when I use my Mac on the internet it will kick off both PS3's in the household randomly by resetting the internet. I'll try to respond later with better details.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.