Airport Express transfer speeds

H

happyleaves

Hi

I have a Powermac G5, an iBook and an iMac G4. Each has its Airport Extreme card installed and they talk to one another through an Airport Express.

I've made the connection between them just fine but my worry is the transfer speed of either reading the files on another machine or actually transfering them between one another. If i simply want to view the files on another machine, it can take up to 3 or 4 minutes for the folder list to appear in my Finder which i can only assume is wrong.

My desktops are both in the same room but my iBook gets moved around the home. The Airport is in the same room as the two desktops - not more than two metres away.

has anyone got any suggestions or have i set something up incorrectly or is my Airport malfunctioning?

I bought all this wireless gear as we are getting ADSL broadband in a few weeks and i wanted wireless internet access this way, but to be honest, the file transfer speed is running more like a 56kb modem and NOT the 54Mbps they claim on the box.

Please help :)

Cheers

Karl

OP
W

warrenbert

Try this:

Go into your Admin Utility, select your Airport Express and click the "Configure" button. You will need to enter your password.

Click on the "Airport" tab.

From the "Mode" drop-down box, select "802.11g only".

From the "Multicast Rate" drop-down box, select "24" mb/s. A warning dialog box will appear. Click "OK".

See if that helps at all. The Airport Express (as opposed to the base station) was actually commended for it's performance by CNET.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_AirPo...AirTunes_/4505-3304_7-30910240-5.html?tag=top

OP
H

happyleaves

warrenbert said:
Try this:

Go into your Admin Utility, select your Airport Express and click the "Configure" button. You will need to enter your password.

Click on the "Airport" tab.

From the "Mode" drop-down box, select "802.11g only".

From the "Multicast Rate" drop-down box, select "24" mb/s. A warning dialog box will appear. Click "OK".

See if that helps at all. The Airport Express (as opposed to the base station) was actually commended for it's performance by CNET.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_AirPo...AirTunes_/4505-3304_7-30910240-5.html?tag=top

Thanks Warrenbert!

I stayed up till late last nigth trying to work it all out. I resinstalled each airport card in my three Macs. The i tried swopping them between one another. I tried the Airport Express in another location in case it was interference, but none of this worked.

I then had a brainwave and tried altering the angle of the antenna that Apple supply with the G5 for when you add an Airport card, and it worked. I simply turned it 90 degrees from the vertical and the whole wireless networks works perfectly. I would never have thought something so simple could make such a huge difference to the performance of a wireless network. Weird!

Thanks for all your suggestions and kind help guys :)

Cheers

Karl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.