Networking Mac to Mac

Reaction score
Hello. I'm fairly new to the Mac scene, and I've just picked up my second Mac computer and I'm having trouble networking and sharing files.

I have a Macbook Pro and a Mac Mini both connected wirelessly via an Airport Extreme router.

I'm planning to use my Mac Mini as a Media Center, however, I would like access to a few folders on my Macbook Pro.

I have named both of my computers, I have added the folders that I want to share on my Macbook Pro end. I have set up file sharing on both computers.

The problem comes when I try to connect my Mac Mini to my Macbook Pro. It will only connect as a guest and I only have access to the Drop Box folder.

My understanding is that I need to set up a User profile on both computers to allow access to read and write features. However, I'm not sure how to do that.

I tried Google for a step by step process, but didn't find anything. Can anyone here point me in the right direction? I'm sure it's quite simple to do, but I just can't get it.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
What if you set permissions to Read/Write/Exec for Everyone? Either in the get info panel you get form the folder you are sharing or in the Sharing preferences. In the Get Info pannel (which you get by selecting a folder and pressing cmd+i) there is a permissions group in the bottom, so just select Read and Write for the every1 group

this way you should be able to access the files even as guest

Alternatively you can setup another account on your MBP and connect as that user, keep in mind you still need to set permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
You can do a "connect as..." and type in your username and password from your Admin account on your MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.