External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
Looking for an external hard drive for my MBP.

I want a 1TB 7200rpm with a Firewire 400 or 800 connection preferably 800.

I was looking up some reviews for the WD My Book Studio Edition and there were tons and tons of bad reviews.

Can someone please let me know of a reliable external hard drive with the above specifications. Thanks in advance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Personally, I like this case. It uses SATA drives and has a quad interface with USB, FW400, FW800 and eSATA. Then stick your own drive in it. You are now ready for whatever computer you may want to attach it to.

This route is more expensive, but you can pick a drive with a 5 yr warranty rather than the 1 yr you'll typically get buying someone's total package.

Purchasing separately is also about the only way you'll know what chipset the enclosure uses and the amount of cache the hard drive has. Most of the pre-packaged stuff will provide you with no technical info at all.

OP
yellow19man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
Thanks for you input. I was thinking about going with your route. It would be cool if they came out with a 1TB Firewire 800 Flashdrive key.

I was on CNET sometime ago and I saw a hard drive holder but all you did was stick in the internal HD and you could swap HD's like swapping DVD's with your DVD drive. It was pretty neat but I haven't been able to find one of those on the internet or at local computer shops.

If anyone finds what I just described please let me know.

Personally, I like this case. It uses SATA drives and has a quad interface with USB, FW400, FW800 and eSATA. Then stick your own drive in it. You are now ready for whatever computer you may want to attach it to.

This route is more expensive, but you can pick a drive with a 5 yr warranty rather than the 1 yr you'll typically get buying someone's total package.

Purchasing separately is also about the only way you'll know what chipset the enclosure uses and the amount of cache the hard drive has. Most of the pre-packaged stuff will provide you with no technical info at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.