moving itunes to X HD

Reaction score
hi all
just received my 'WD my book studio X HD' and have installed it using the 'WD anywhere backup' software so basically it has now backed up all of my photos music files etc and will carry on doing so from what i can gather ???
basically my question is how can i permanently store and access my itunes from my HD as to free up my internal HD as this was really the purpose of the new HD
cheers hope you can help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBAir
An easier way it to hold down the option key while starting itunes (shift on pc's), select choose library, and then browse to the external drive's itunes folder. Done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Does that consolidate the library though? You need to do that first time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB DDR SDRAM/(2) iPod 3gs 15&30GB/iPod Nano 4g 15GB/iPod Classic 6g 120GB
I had to do this last year to get my music off my internal HD. You'll still be using iTunes on the internal HD. You're moving your library down the block to a bigger building (the very spacious external HD) and supplying iTunes with the new address (file path) and the new folder name.

iTunes needs to know where to find all the files to still play them, and know where to put all your new imports and purchases.

Reaction score
Surely if everything is being moved across, music etc file wise any way why not just copy it all across, reove the folders from the existing library and then just add a new library pointing at the copied folders

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.