how to switch between leopard and windows os

Reaction score
I know it can be done by going to system preferences but is there any shortcut so that you can shuffle with just one click or stroke on the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not entirely sure what you mean by 'switch'......

Do you mean choosing the default OS to start on boot up?

If so you don't need to choose which OS to boot into from System Preferences you can just hold the Option key when you start your mac and click to start Mac OS or Windows.

Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

mrplow

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
mrplow got it right, the only one click/key shortcut is holding the option key when starting up. and it's more like 2 or 3 because you still have to choose the partition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
Sounds like he's inquiring about Parallels or Fusion and wants to go from one to the other without rebooting.

OP
P
Reaction score
Sounds like he's inquiring about Parallels or Fusion and wants to go from one to the other without rebooting.

that's right..........is it possible to switch from one os to other on the go

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Ok......

Could you post some more details please . . . Things are getting confused. What are you trying to do?

Do you have Windows installed in Bootcamp or do you have Parallels or VmWare Fusion? Or both?

You mentioned going into System Preferences.... to do what?

You don't need to reboot to get into Parallels or Fusion. Both are just apps that run inside OS X. If you launch Windows within a Parallels or Fusion VM session you just swap between OSX and Windows like swapping between any other apps.

You would only need to reboot your Mac to get into Windows if you had installed Windows in a bootcamp partition. In this case the details from my post above apply.

OP
P
Reaction score
"You don't need to reboot to get into Parallels or Fusion. Both are just apps that run inside OS X. If you launch Windows within a Parallels or Fusion VM session you just swap between OSX and Windows like swapping between any other apps."

this ia what i am asking about.........plz tell me hw do i launch Windows within a Parallels or Fusion VM session........plz lead me step by step if possible....help is deeply appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For starters you'll need to get yourself a copy of Parallels or VMWare Fusion (Fusion is preferable as it's faster and has a cleaner interface). Then you'll also need to get yourself a copy of Windows. There are some cheap System Builders versions available on Newegg.

Once you have those two in hand, all you have to do is install Parallels or Fusion, and on first boot of the software a wizard will pop up asking you to set up a new virtual machine, at which point you'll be asked to select which OS you want to install, how much space to allocate, and then all you do is pop in the Windows disc, sit back, and watch the magic happen. :D

OP
P
Reaction score
seems simple, thx a lot guys, now just tell me frm where can i get hold of VMWare Fusion (is it what you are talking abt being available on Newegg, plz bear with me i am not a programmer), is available for download or will i have to go to the market

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I think you can purchase a downloadable copy or the CD version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 3.06 Ghz, 4 GB SDRAM
So....... this is a very helpful thread. However, i'm still not sure of something.

It seems you can either boot from Bootcamp or parallels/vmware. But are you stuck to one method? meaning, can you install through bootcamp and boot directly to xp for gaming etc, but when you are doing normal low-intensity stuff, also have parallels installed and run windows virtually through Mac OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SaltDoc - The latter is true...

You can install windows on the bootcamp partition, then install fusion of parallels under OS X. Both products can open the bootcamp windows install as a 'vm' giving you the exact option you describe above.

Reaction score
For running VMs (Virtual Machines) within OSX, there are 3 choices :

1. Parallels
2. Fusion
3. Virtual Box

Only the 3rd choice is free. There are downloadable trial versions of the other two.

Parallels is currrently faster than Fusion 2 in most scenarios - I have not tried Virtual Box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SaltDoc - The latter is true...

You can install windows on the bootcamp partition, then install fusion of parallels under OS X. Both products can open the bootcamp windows install as a 'vm' giving you the exact option you describe above.

Thanks! That is sweet.... Now just to decide which windows OS to get and between parallels/vmware :( if only it was clearcut!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
one more question about this, if you install a what seems to be a legal version of the oem version of xp that you can get on newegg etc, what happens when you install under boot camp? meaning, it seems you have to "activate" it again when you install the parallels/fusion. is this possible to do with an oem version of the OS?

also, i have seen it said that some features of parallels or fusion may not be able to work when you install the os through bootcamp.... anything important missing?

Sorry for the double post... is it against the rules btw?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
..... it seems you have to "activate" it again when you install the parallels/fusion. is this possible to do with an oem version of the OS?

It's prompts for re-activation because it thinks hardware has changed. n particular the MAC address of the VMs virtual network card differs from the real MAC address of your real network card.
My post on this thread details the changes you need to make to fusion to align your addresses. There is info on the parallels forums detailling similar for parallels. Once aligned you won't need to re-activate.

also, i have seen it said that some features of parallels or fusion may not be able to work when you install the os through bootcamp.... anything important missing?
You won't get the same level of performance running in a VM and the full capabilities of the graphics card won't be available. Not sure there's much else significant

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.