Installing Vista 64 bit w/Boot Camp

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a new iMac, with Mac OSX version 10.5.6, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR RAM. I am trying to install Vista 64bit, I am using Boot Camp 2.1, that is suppose to contain the drivers for 64bit Vista. I was told when I ordered the Vista 64 bit that it would work on my iMac.

I have downloaded BC 2.1 but it shows as an .exe file. Is there something that I need to do to get BC to install? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You're supposed to update Boot Camp from within Windows as the drivers would be useless on the OS X side (the Boot Camp Assistant does nothing more than partition the drive and install a bootloader, it has nothing to do with drivers).

Install Windows first, then install the 2.1 drivers.

Reaction score
boot camp assistant partitions the drive in OS X, then you install the drivers from your recovery CD while in windows. i have no idea what BCUpdateVista64.exe does. base on my progress today and other forums, it does absolutely nothing.
my previous iMac (mid-2007) installed and ran Vista64 just fine, only i had to use a vLite custom install disc to get around the EFI problem. drivers installed from the leopard retail CD with no problem. never heard of or had a reason to look for BCUpdateVista64.exe.
today i got a new iMac (2009) and i'm trying to install it again. i used the same vLite disc, but not because of the EFI problem. this time installation froze at 75% using the OEM vista disc. after installing, i tried to use my iMac recovery discs to install drivers and I got a message along the lines of "Boot Camp X64 is unsupported on this computer model."
now why would it work on the mid-2007 but not early-2009 iMac?
i've been trying workarounds all day. no luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.