Quick Parallels Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
I have installed Windows XP via Bootcamp, and am now tempted by Parallels (after looking into VMs with Virtualbox).

I would like to know how I the program can access the bootcamp partition I have made. To me, it appears that if I were to install XP via parallels it would not be the same XP that I would be using via bootcamp. Or is this not what is the case, and I have got it wrong?

Thanks,
Stef

PS, I'm aware I haven't quite articulated what I'm after quite right, I'm just not sure of how to put it! If its unclear to anyone I'll try and expand!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you want to access the Boot Camp partition from a virtual machine, you don't install Windows a second time. After installing Parallels, when setting up a new virtual machine, you point it to your Boot Camp partition.

Have you already purchased Parallels? If not, I would suggest using VMWare Fusion instead as it's faster and easier to use.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Both Parallels and VMWare Fusion (the latter of which, I prefer) can boot the virtual machine from an existing Boot Camp partition. Alternatively, one can create a separate virtual hard drive onto which Windows can be installed (and there are a number of advantages to this).

If you take a look at the "Running Windows on a Mac" guide which is stickied at the top of this forum, you'll find a ton of information on this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have installed Windows XP via Bootcamp, and am now tempted by Parallels (after looking into VMs with Virtualbox).

I would like to know how I the program can access the bootcamp partition I have made. To me, it appears that if I were to install XP via parallels it would not be the same XP that I would be using via bootcamp. Or is this not what is the case, and I have got it wrong?

You have it correct. Both Parallels and Fusion can use an already installed copy of Windows XP or Vista (via Boot Camp) as a VM and access it while the program is running under OS X. In other words, you would be able to access your Windows installation both ways - and not have to install XP or Vista twice.

There is one caveat, however, and that is Windows will complain and ask for activation again when the VM is created. That does not present a problem since activation can be accomplished very quickly with either net access or if that fails, a phone call to MS.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just out of curiosity, can you delete your boot camp partition afterwards? In other words, does Parallels/Fusion create a new virtual HD or does it just "reference" the boot camp installation?

I don't use boot camp but I would just like to know for future reference.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sure. You can make as many VMs as you want. So, if you nuke your Boot Camp partition, you'd simply build a new VM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just out of curiosity, can you delete your boot camp partition afterwards? In other words, does Parallels/Fusion create a new virtual HD or does it just "reference" the boot camp installation?

I don't use boot camp but I would just like to know for future reference.

No, it uses the Boot Camp partition, "references" it as you put it. Once you wipe out the Windows Boot Camp partition, you'll lose access to it as a virtual machine and will have to create a new one.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Good to know, thanks!

Reaction score
Have you already purchased Parallels? If not, I would suggest using VMWare Fusion instead as it's faster and easier to use.

It seems that Parallels 4 is more likely to be faster than Fusion 2 at the moment- depending on exact useage.

I have used both for over 2 years and tend to favour Parallels.

I have just purchased Parallels 4, so I shall shortly be in a postion to judge for myself.

Reaction score
As far as single-user Windows installations go, Parallels and Fusion are almost identical - in terms of features, speed, ease of use, etc. The differences are almost purely stylistic and interface-driven. Having said that, Fusion is the better choice if you will be branching out to run VMs based on other operating systems or working in a development environment.

As far as the activation issue is concerned, I had that problem initially but it went away once I installed/updated the guest tools. If you do that, you should only have to activate once on the BC partition and once in the VM. In theory, anyway ... :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.