Ideal PowerMac G5 for World of Warcraft?

N

NuttyG

Later this year, I am debating switching my PC out for a G5 tower. The Athlon XP box is a little long in the tooth, and rather than another MB/CPU/RAM/HD upgrade, I thought about trying a Mac for once.

I don't play a huge amount of PC games, but I would like to continue to be able to play World of Warcraft. I don't want to have to gimp it, either, I'd like all the options turned up.

I will also use the machine pretty heavily for dumping and editing home movies.

Would I be fine with the single 1.8 ghz processor, or do I need duellies? Also, how much RAM?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I should think a single processor 1.8 will be good enough so long as you bump it up with as much ram as you can afford, about 1GB would be good. I think you will be surprised how fast a 1.8 G5 processor is as it's not really possible to compare it with intel specs.

OP
N

NuttyG

Mr Bobbins said:
I should think a single processor 1.8 will be good enough so long as you bump it up with as much ram as you can afford, about 1GB would be good. I think you will be surprised how fast a 1.8 G5 processor is as it's not really possible to compare it with intel specs.

Thanks, and I had one more question; I currently have a Radeon 9800 Pro that is the one good part of my PC that I'd like to stick in the Mac. Can I pop it in a new G5 and expect it to work, or do I have to prep it with a new BIOS first? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you need to do this, but I could be thinking of older Macs.

Thanks again!!

OP
A

archer75

World of Warcraft does'nt need much to run. You can get an old used G4 off of ebay that would run it just fine.

Reaction score
archer75 said:
World of Warcraft does'nt need much to run. You can get an old used G4 off of ebay that would run it just fine.

It doesn't run that well on my mac mini, If he wants it to run at least as good as his PC with a Radeon 9800 Pro, he is going to want a G5 Powermac. If you get a G5 Powermac, spend the extra cash to get the dual CPU.

I don't know about converting a PC R9800 Pro to work with a mac, I would be interested to know if you find anything out on that because I have the same card in my PC.

Reaction score
There is a bit of a difference between a mac mini and the g4's in that the mini's have a slow laptop size harddrive in them. But lets face it, if you have got the money who wouldn't buy a top of the range G5. I'm not sure if it would be necessary but it would be nice.

Reaction score
Mr Bobbins said:
I'm not sure if it would be necessary but it would be nice.

I think it is necessary in order to play with all the visual effects turned up like he mentioned he wanted.

OP
A

archer75

Just make sure your mini has 1gb of ram. Others have reported WoW running just fine on a mini with that.

OP
D

Danster

Does anybody here have WoW with an iMac G5 and can say what settings works best on?

I'l get it this friday and i'l tell ya how it works :)

Reaction score
Considering that OSX can use up to 512MB of ram just with a start up I should imagine that archer75 is right. Just give it lots of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D Glossy
no point to single 1.8 powermac

get an imac g5 with about a gig of RAM you will not be able to use
your 9800 radeon on your powermac, as it only accepts one kind of radeon card and pretty much guaranteed that it wont be yours. the 5200 on the imac is all you will need for WOW. The only benefit of going Imac to Powermac in a single 1.8 is a better graphics card.

Ps
Bugger WOW and play neverwinter nights its better and you dont have to pay a monthly fee!

OP
D

d-funct

I'm also pretty interested in putting my Radeon 9800 pro from my PC into my mac ... anybody know if it'll work or would if blowup in my face killing everything and burning down my house?

OP
A

archer75

uncle sam said:
Ps
Bugger WOW and play neverwinter nights its better and you dont have to pay a monthly fee!

While I do feel WoW is a crap game and Neverwinter Nights is better, it is NOT a mmorpg.

Reaction score
What's a mmorpg ?

Yes, d-funct i would be careful by just putting in a graphics card from a Mac into a PC as I have heard that it can cause the crust of the earth to open up and swallow everything within a two mile radius, so I would at the least WARN THE NEIGHBOUR'S and LOCAL POLICE before attempting such a reckless adventure.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
d-funct said:
I'm also pretty interested in putting my Radeon 9800 pro from my PC into my mac ... anybody know if it'll work or would if blowup in my face killing everything and burning down my house?

There is nothing fancy about the AGP or PCI-X sockets in the PowerMac so hardware wise nothing will "blowup" but I've not heard good things about the ATI retail drivers.

The main difference between the retail cards and the Mac specific ones is the output sockets, i.e the Mac versions come with the Apple Cinema screen socket which contains power/on-off/usb within them.

Amen-Moses

OP
D

d-funct

then would'nt the board try to push power though connectors that should'nt be having power pushed though them?

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the differences between the PC versions and Mac versions of video cards are more than just the outputs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
d-funct said:
then would'nt the board try to push power though connectors that should'nt be having power pushed though them?

Eh? The retail boards don't have ADC connectors whereas the Mac versions do. If you are using a retail card to drive a standard VGA or DVI monitor then as long as it is supported by the retail drivers (download-able from the Apple site) then it should work fine.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Why would anyone pay $300 for a mac Radeon 9800 Pro compared to $200 for a Radeon 9800 Pro? I have heard that the ROM on the board is different, It would physically fit but it wouldn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.