• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Blog Advice Please?

Reaction score
i honestly dont mean for this to be spam, if its spam please dont negative rep me - ill just remove the thread.

anyway, i have been doing my blog for just over a month, and im enjoying it. i mainly write reviews on iPhone apps but also generally write about things to do with apple.

i could do with some advice on improvements of absolutely anything on the site.

i dont have anyone else to ask :( but this forum :D .

so if you want to help, visit www.howgudami.co.uk .
please post your advice below

Thanks.:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
it's a little bulky for my taste, I can't quite phrase it though, the nonuniform height of the bubbles maybe? or you could put a slight gradient to the edges or background and take down the fonts just a little bit .... I really can't say, but it's just missing something and it bugs me that I can't figure out what it is :D

OP
HowGudAmI
Reaction score
thanks

it's a little bulky for my taste, I can't quite phrase it though, the nonuniform height of the bubbles maybe? or you could put a slight gradient to the edges or background and take down the fonts just a little bit .... I really can't say, but it's just missing something and it bugs me that I can't figure out what it is :D

thanks for your feedback, will try to work on it asap

Reaction score
Not sure what CMS you have used for creating this blog but i will advice you to go with Wordpress where you can get many beautiful free themes for your blog.

OP
HowGudAmI
Reaction score
Not sure what CMS you have used for creating this blog but i will advice you to go with Wordpress where you can get many beautiful free themes for your blog.

i was going to... but i enjoy using iweb. I should really switch but im so used to iweb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
Definitely edit the red squiggly line or whatever you call that below your name. That's the biggest mistake you could ever make.

The website feels a lil' weird to me, I can't exactly describe what is it. And oh, please be mindful of starting a sentence with a capital letter instead, and work on your punctuation. That has to be done to make your blog more professional.

Good luck man, you have passion.

OP
HowGudAmI
Reaction score
Definitely edit the red squiggly line or whatever you call that below your name. That's the biggest mistake you could ever make.

The website feels a lil' weird to me, I can't exactly describe what is it. And oh, please be mindful of starting a sentence with a capital letter instead, and work on your punctuation. That has to be done to make your blog more professional.

Good luck man, you have passion.

ok, working on this now.

i really am grateful for this feedback, yours, and the above. thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I am a man of simple tastes and thus, I enjoy simple yet well laid out templates. This is probably why I like Google so much.

Might I suggest a more simplistic template, one with less pictures. This way, you keep the readers focused on the content and prevent them from being distracted.

EDIT: I also notice that the download link for the dashboard widget requires a username and password.

OP
HowGudAmI
Reaction score
I am a man of simple tastes and thus, I enjoy simple yet well laid out templates. This is probably why I like Google so much.

Might I suggest a more simplistic template, one with less pictures. This way, you keep the readers focused on the content and prevent them from being distracted.

EDIT: I also notice tat the download link for the dashboard widget requires a username and password.

understood. thanks, btw its not a template, i make it all from scratch.

im in the process of doing that now, ty.

OP
HowGudAmI
Reaction score
I JUST SPENT THE LAST HOUR EDITING TO YOUR SUGGESTIONS,

and then iWeb decided to randomly quit for the first time. :mad:

had a new simplistic design, rewrote EVERYTHING for punctuation and spelling - all gone. will have to start again.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That sucks. I know how that feels. That's probably why my cmd and s button get such good use.

I would suggest some sort of template system - in case you decide to change the look later, you can change it quickly as oppose to having to rewrite things again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Impact is not a good font for anything other than image macros.

Try using something wider and less bold.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Impact is not a good font for anything other than image macros.

Try using something wider and less bold.

Give him the gold badge and suddenly he's gods gift to Blogging! ;D

Nice Blog...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

I highly agree with that.

OP
HowGudAmI
Reaction score
ive done a basic redisign, is it better than the original homepage -
Blank

should i use that?

cant afford new hosting so i cant do wordpress.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally, I would make the font smaller. That's my only caveat. Perhaps someone with a little more web design experience would be better able to give an opinion though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo White macbook, 2GB RAM, Running OS 10.5.6
I really like the site but I don't like the font. I can stand it but it just doesn't look pleasing to me.

Also the star background you got there annoys the HECK out of me. It always has. The yellow font over that background is also a no no. It fades into the white and it's hard to read. Something like orange might be better over the purple colorwise and it will stand out on the white stripes.

The grayish font is great. Its very easy on the eyes.

On the blog page the search bar is over the osx logo. That might only be because i am using opera (some compatability issues arise in Opera)

my.php

Even with those "flaws" I would still come to this site every day and read the posts and I have already subscribed to your rss feed.
KUDOS TO YOU FOR MAKING THIS FROM SCRATCH!!!

OP
HowGudAmI
Reaction score
I really like the site but I don't like the font. I can stand it but it just doesn't look pleasing to me.

Also the star background you got there annoys the HECK out of me. It always has. The yellow font over that background is also a no no. It fades into the white and it's hard to read. Something like orange might be better over the purple colorwise and it will stand out on the white stripes.

The grayish font is great. Its very easy on the eyes.

On the blog page the search bar is over the osx logo. That might only be because i am using opera (some compatability issues arise in Opera)

my.php

Even with those "flaws" I would still come to this site every day and read the posts and I have already subscribed to your rss feed.
KUDOS TO YOU FOR MAKING THIS FROM SCRATCH!!!

Thanks for the feedback. and thanks for subscribing, means a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.